They're back

I slowly drifted awake, my vision blurred. I lifted my hand, just seeing a shaking blur. Whether it was shaking, or my vision was unstable, I didn't know. It could be both, for all I know. I let my hand drop once again, shifting to lay on my side, curled up into a ball, closing my eyes once again, wishing for the heachache to disappear. I knew it wasn't going to, at least for a little while.

When I reopened my eyes, I saw a familiar teal form sitting on the bed, about a foot away from my face. I felt a smile creep up on my face as I continued to look at him.

"You're back,"

"I was only gone for a few days, Nev. But, I'm glad you missed me. I sure as hell missed you," Zeta responded, resting his elbows on his knees. I just smiled, the headache still pounding.

"It's good to have the other voice in my head, again," I said with a smile, closing my eyes. When I opened them, again, I barely saw him glitch. It was very subtle, almost not there, but I saw it. It was there, just reminding me that something was wrong. Just, what, exactly, is wrong? It's been to long for the effects from being shut-down for six and a half years, right?

I bit my lip, worried.

"Nev?"

"Hmm?"

"You just... got lost in thought there for a minute. And I know you don't like me to tune into your thoughts, so I didn't..." He trailed off, looking at me. I just shook my head, not saying anything immediately. I actually forgot that he could tune into my thoughts. I haven't really thought about it in awhile...

"It's nothing, just trying to get rid of the damn heachache," I replied, sighing quietly to myself. I pushed myself up into a sitting position, closing my eyes to overcome the dizziness that followed quickly after. I looked around the room, noticing I was in my dorm, with Iowa across from me, in her own bed.

"Is everyone already out of surgery?" I asked, swinging my legs over the side of the bed, just sitting there.

"Yes, actually. You have been out for... a day and a half," Zeta replied. I just nodded, standing up. I looked over at Iowa, who was still out. I contemplated waking her up, but thought against it. I should let her rest, at least for now. I turned to my small nightstand, seeing my dog tags neatly placed in the center, a few inches from my old alarm clock.

I grabbed them, hanging them around my neck. It feels good to have them back, really. I guess they're like... what woud you call it... security blanket, or something like that? I'm not entirely sure, to be honest. I sighed quietly to myself, pushing myself up, off the bed. My legs felt weak, but at least I didn't buckle.

I walked over to the mini-fridge, opening it, feeling the cool air come from it. I took a water out, immediately unscrewing the cap, taking a long drink. "Hey, Z, what all happened after we got back? How's the others in our team? And what about the other team? How are they?" I questioned, sitting in one of the chairs, crossing one leg over the other, placing the water bottle on the table.

"How many questions do you need to ask at once? Jeez, Nev. Anyways, Michigan and Omicron are the only one's up currently. You and Iowa are the only two, in our team, to really get hurt. But, most of the damage is two cracked ribs, and a bit of bruising. And the other team..." He trailed off, appearing on the table beside me.

"What about them?" I asked, looking at the little AI, reaching for the water bottle once again.

"Well, Agent Carolina came out with three cracked ribs, and minor bruising. Agent York came out with just minor bruising. Agent Maine..." He trailed off, looking down.

"Just tell me, Z,"

"He was shot in the throat nine times, barely escaping the area in critical condition. He was evacuated in an emergency pelican, and the moment they touched down, he was rushed into surgery. He's still in recovery, but he'll never talk again," Zeta concluded finally, looking up at me. I just nodded, taking a small drink.