You Don't Understand

"Nevada and Iowa are intervening," The Counselor reported, stepping into the Director's office. "Why tell me, Counselor? Tell them that any force that will not kill them is authorized. This is a neccesary action for us to continue down this road and hunt him down without any hinderences," The Director said, annoyed. "Yes, sir. And if they kill one of the soldiers, or even him?" The Counselor asked, looking at the Director.

"Neither of them will kill them. They know the consequences all too well to get out of hand," The Director simply replied, not even glancing at the other man. When the Counselor did not respond, the Director sighed. "Have the others been confiscated yet?" He asked, only glancing at him, before returning his attention to papers that littered his desk. "Alaska and Michigan's side has been successful. Nevada and Iowa stepped in when it came down to Agent Colorado and Montana's side. From a report from one of the soldiers, they are being protective of the two other Agents in an agressive manner, knocking several of them out," The Counselor explained.

"It's to be expected from those two," The Director simply said, clearly not caring about the situation.

"But, sir, it is possible that the mission might fail," The Counselor said, suddenly confused. "It won't fail, Counselor. They will fall eventually, especially if you tell them to use what I authorized," The Director simply responded.

"They might not get a chance to use it, Director-" The Director cut off the Counselor's sentence, standing up. "They will get close enough. They are Freelancers, not invincible. They will fall, and they will complete this mission," The Director sharply said, eyeing the Counselor.

"Yes, sir," The Counselor just nodded.

"Report back when the job is finished," The Director ordered, resuming his work.

"Yes, sir,"

~,~,~

"Hey, douche bag. What the hell do you think you're doing here?" Iowa said, forcing the marines away from her as she stepped up to the unknown man, Nevada right at her side. "Didn't anyone ever teach you that barging into a lady's room at night for no reason is rude? Or do we need to beat it into you?" Nevada threatened. The unknown man gave a quick signal.

From the corner of their eyes, Iowa and Nevada saw two marines aiming their tasers at them. Simultaneosly, they ducked, then struck out with their elbows, hitting the forearms of the marines, throwing them off balance and making the yell from the sudden burst of pain. While they tried to regain their composure, the two girls grabbed their arms, and slammed the two attackers together, successfully knocking them out. "You wanna try that again, whoever the hell you are?" They asked.

Nevada looked over at CO and Montana just as the marines who had them pinned down knocked them out. "Oh, you're playing that way, eh? Let's see how you like it," Iowa said, moving to their two friends, their bare feet making the smallest of noices as they took down the two marines. Iowa slammed her knee against one, throwing him away from Montana's still body, while Nevada grabbed the other one, threw him to the ground, and knocked him out in one swift punch to his throat.

They turned towards the group of marines and the unknown man, each settling into a defensive stance. No one was going to get passed them to CO and Montana. "Bring it, douche bag. Let's see if your party can take down pissed off Freelancers," Nevada smiled. This would be so much more fun with the rest of their team. Hel, they don't even know where Alaska and Michigan are, Omicron and Kappa are logged off, so they can't get contact with them.

"I don't want to do this, guys!" One of the marines in the back yelled as he was shoved forward. "Oh, come on! They are no different than you! Take 'em out, Jeff!" The others cheered, then it adruptly ended when Nevada took the neccesary steps toward him, grabbed him by the chest piece of his armor, and threw him, making him slam into the ones that originally cheered for him. "You... didn't take them out... you took us down..." One said, pushing him off. "It's not my fault!" He complained.

Iowa arched a brow. No wonder they're so easy to take down.... They're idiots! Iowa thought, shaking her head. She looked over at Nevada, who now had her arms crossed over her chest, just looking at the marines as they struggled to get up.

"Enough messing around. Take them down so we can conclude this business," The unknown man said, a cold tint in his voice. Immediately snapped back to attention, seeing a visible change in the marines. "What the hell?" Nevada muttered. "Remember, Agents, this is for the sake of the Project," The unknown man said,  his voice unchanging, as if he had no emotion in his voice.

As if on queue, the Freelancers had their legs sweeped out from under them from two marines who had been invisible. "Shit!" Iowa yelled as they pinned them to the ground. Nevada saw a hand coming toward her, holding a syringe with something in it. "Oh, hell no," She said, freeing one og her arms, smacking the hand away, Iowa following her lead and doing the same.

They suddenly flipped, breaking the pinned position.

Nevada slammed her foot against one of their abdomens, then pushed herself to her feet, with Iowa jumping to her feet seconds later.

"What the hell are you doing here? Why the hell are you taking down our team?" Iowa asked, a threatening tone in her voice. "As I have said, it is for the sake of the Project," The man said. "For the sake of the Project, my ass! We, the Freelancers, are the Project. And here you are taking us down," Nevada said.

The man shook his head. "You do not understand, and it would be useless to explain," The man said.

The girls sighed.

The man held two fingers up to his ear. "Yes? End it now?  Yes, sir. Yes, sir," Before he even finished his conversation, Nevada and Iowa both felt a sharp pain in their arms.

Then everything went black.

~,~,~

"Is the job finished yet, Counselor?" The Director asked, barely glancing up from his work. "Yes, sir. Agents Nevada and Iowa have been subdued, and are being transported to the detension block until they awaken. Would you like me to notify you when they awaken?" The Counselor asked, looking at the Director. "Yes. Place those two together, but seperate the others. I would like to see their reactions," The Director said, nodding.

"Yes, sir," The Counselor replied, making a memo on his datapad for reference in the future.

"How did the battle go?" The Director asked. "If you had not authorized the use of the cloaking, it would have failed. They broke free until the very end, when they were subdued, with no assistance from their A.I.," The Counselor responded. "That is because they know the shimmer caused from the cloaking. If they had not caught them off guard for that short time, they would have noticed, and the objective would have failed. Injuries?" The Director continued to ask.

"Two of the marines suffered broken noses, one had his hand broken by Agent Iowa, and one had two broken ribs thanks to Agent Nevada. The Freelancers themselves had no injuries whatsoever," The Counselor reported. "It's to be expected from Freelancers," The Director simply said. "Yes, sir," The Counselor simply replied.

"Do they know why this happened, Counselor?" The Director inquired, looking at him. "No, sir. But, by looking at their past, they will know when they awaken," The Counselor replied.

"Good. Report back when they awaken,"

"Yes, sir,"

...

Hey, Seekers here. Sorry for the short chapter, I hope the next chapter will be better. I ran out of inspiration, but I have a really good idea for next chapter- and I might make it one of the longer chapters as well, but don't be expecting a seven page long chapter. I'll try for five or six. See you guys in the next chapter. Seekers, over and out!