Chapter Two

In the Midst of the Light

Two

Valerio

"But I'm only twenty-five," I remind Dad, "why are you and Mom stepping down?"

Dad smirks at me from the other side of his desk in his office. "I was twenty-three when your Mom created the Guild Leaders, Valerio," he replies. "We have faith in you and Lexie to lead the werewolves."

I take a deep breath and lock my jaw. I glance behind Dad to Mom. She's smiling at me as she stands behind Dad's chair with her hand on the back of it. My right knee starts bouncing as I look down to my lap. I start chewing on the inside of my cheek as I try to figure out why now, all of a sudden, they're wanting to step down.

"Are either of you sick?" I ask as I lift my head.

"No, I promise. " Mom replies as she shakes her head.

I shake my head at them. "Then why now?" I ask again. It doesn't make sense to me why.

Dad stands from his chair, and Mom takes a step to come to stand beside him. Dad puts his hands on his desk as he leans over towards me. I swallow at that stance.

"I have taught you everything you need to know," he starts, "and there's no better time for you to take over than right now. You and Lexie have completed your mating, so the new Regional Alphas taking over for their parents will welcome two leaders who are closer to their age. You and Lexie will be able to connect with them in a way your mother and I can't."

I feel a hand on my shoulder, shaking me awake. My eyes pop open, and I see Aemilia standing over me next to the bed. I look over to Lexie, relieved the blankets are covering her naked body. I look back to my sister, worry and anxiety clear on her face. I feel my eyebrows come together, and then Aemilia curls her fingers. She's landed us in Dad's office, her sanctuary, thankfully putting clothes on me.

"What?" I ask her as I take one of the seats.

"Couldn't sleep," she sighs as she too sits down.

I roll my head around in a circle, trying to stretch my neck to fully wake up. "Want to talk about it?" I ask her, already knowing why she can't sleep. It's always one of two things. It's either because of her anxiety over Keegan, or she had an old nightmare about Mom.

Aemilia takes a calming breath as she shakes her head. Since she doesn't want to talk about it, I know she can't sleep because of an old nightmare.

"So which one do you want to play this time?" I ask her as I stand from the chair. Normally, we play a board game of some type until either the sun comes up, or she gets so tired she passes out.