Chapter Twenty-Eight~ PART EIGHT

In the Midst of the Light

Twenty-Eight

PART EIGHT

The Warlock

I hear someone running, the soles of their shoes hitting the floor of the ritual room hard. I turn, seeing Spencer running at me. I stand up straight from leaning over the desk, and give him a confused look.

"What?" I ask when he gets halfway across the room.

"I found it!" He exclaims, holding up a piece of paper. "I found where your diamond is."

A large smile pulls across my face. It only took him a week. "Where is it?"

He comes to a halt in front of me, hands me the paper in his hands, and answers, "It's in a museum in Spain."

My smile grows even more as I read an article on a new exhibit. In the photo on the page, I can see the diamond in it's case. I had wanted to ask Aemilia where the diamond was being kept, but I knew I couldn't. When it comes to what is rightfully mine, I knew I wouldn't be able to control my facial reactions. And had she told me, I would have had no choice but to immediately leave to go get it. Aemilia is already one step ahead with watching the diamond ever since she found out about it. I have to do this carefully. I have to wait for Valerio to send someone to get it, and then I can send Spencer after it. I can't let Spencer's block on Aemilia tip her off, which is exactly what would happen if I just send him now.

I look up from the paper in my hands, nodding my head approvingly at Spencer. "Great work," I tell him as we smile at each other. "As soon as Valerio sends someone to get it, you may leave to retrieve it."

His face falls and he bites on the inside of his cheek. "Actually," he says quietly, "I was thinking Zombie should be the one to go get it. I have to wear the mask and robes anyway, I assume, and he really wants to be the one to bring it to you."