Chapter Twenty-One

In the Midst of the Light

Twenty-One

Valerio

I curl my fingers as soon as Dad leaves my hospital room, but Ronald had been right. My magic isn't working, and I don't like it. I need to see Lexie, and not being able to just bring her to me doesn't sit well in the pit of my stomach. I try reaching out to her through our link, but my head is pounding so hard that I close my mind before I can say anything to her. I growl, and hit the call button.

A blonde nurse comes into the room not even ten seconds later, and I tell her, "I need to see Lexie, can I use your cell phone please?"

She dips her head, says, "Of course, Your Majesty," and then pulls her phone out of the front pocket of her scrubs. She walks over to me as she taps on the screen, and then passes me her phone.

She's brought up the dial pad, and I try to remember what Lexie's phone number is. I completely draw a blank. Who memorizes phone numbers anymore? I tap my thumb on the side of the nurse's phone for a moment, and then randomly remember Eric's phone number. I quickly type it in, and then bring the phone to my ear.

"This is Eric," he answers after a few rings, anxiety clear in his voice.

"What's going on with Lexie?" I ask as the nurse starts backing out of the room to give me privacy.

"Valerio?" My father in law asks.

"Yeah, what's going on with Lexie?"

He's silent for a second, and then the most beautiful voice in the world is gushing my name.

"Oh, Valerio," Lexie cries, "Are you okay?"

I chuckle a little at the question as I look down to my legs. "I'll live. How are you? Are you okay?" I rush out.

I hear her sniffle, and she replies, "I'm fine," she pauses as someone says something to her, but the pain meds make it impossible for me to hear them clearly. I'm pretty sure it's Brianna talking to her though. "Valerio," Lexie breathes quickly, "I am so sorry, but there's a situation going on. I will come to you as soon as I handle this."

The sound of her confident voice puts a smile on my face. Lexie is indeed becoming a true Guild Leader, but what's going on?

"What's the situation?" I ask, terrified The Warlock is making another move on them right now without me there.

"I'll handle it, Valerio. I want you to rest, and I will be there as soon as I can. Don't worry, I love you."

I close my eyes, savoring the sound of her voice as she says she loves me. I smile, and convey, "I love you too, Lexie. Go handle whatever is happening. I'll see you soon."