Chapter Seven

In the Midst of the Light

Seven

Valerio

Valerio something is wrong! Lexie screams at me in a voice I've never heard from her.

The pure fearfulness of it has my undivided attention, pulling me from shopping for R.C.'s birthday present. I snap my head up from looking at my laptop screen, curl my fingers to go to her, and shift as soon as I see a hooded figure picking her body up from the ground. They drop her back on the ground harshly, pissing me off even more, when they see me.

Keegan, Aemilia, come to me now! I order as I lunge for the person wearing the black robes.

My teeth sink into their left shoulder, causing them to scream in pain as I tackle them to the ground. They raise their right arm, and blast me with magic. I fly off of them, and then smack into a tree nearby. I'm sure I feel pain from the blow, but all I can feel is white hot anger. I don't know who this is, but I do know that they're part of The Warlock's coven. I've never seen another witch or warlock outside of the family, and for one just to randomly appear and try to take Lexie tells me all I need to know.

As I fall to the ground, my sister and Keegan manifest along Lexie's running path. Aemilia gasps, Keegan shifts, and then Aemilia holds her hand out to the hooded figure. She locks him with her powers and pulls them towards her.

Keep your hold on him, I tell her as I rush to Lexie's side. I shift back, and lift her torso off the ground, cradling her in my arms. I sweep her hair out of her face as relief overtakes me. Had I been just another three seconds getting to her, she wouldn't be here. As I lift my wife more onto my lap, I feel clothes being put on me.

"What did you do to them?" I hear Aemilia demand from the figure.

I lift my head, forcing my eyes off of Lexie's face when he doesn't answer her. "He's not a wolf, Aemilia. You can't order him." I pause, trying to figure out quickly what to do with him. I won't kill him, even though I really want to. Whoever this is, they're the only one I know to have a connection to The Warlock. For now, I need him alive. "Take him to Uncle Septimus, Aemilia. Seal him in a spare bedroom, and tell Uncle Septimus to not start his interrogation until I get there."

"Yes, brother," she replies in a dark tone. She curls her fingers on the hand that's not holding the abductor in place, and the two of them fade from view.

I look at Keegan, and say, "I need you to go find my Mom and Aunt Aquila. Tell them to come to the pool house. Go!"

His black wolf takes off back in the direction of the house. I look back down to Lexie, my hold on her tightening, and then take us and Brianna to the pool house. I land Brianna on the couch in the main room, and rush to one of the bedrooms. I lay Lexie gently down on the bed, sitting on the edge of it to keep close to her.