Chapter Three

In the Midst of the Light

Three

Valerio

There are times that I can't make myself look away from Lexie. There are also times that she will look at me while I'm staring at her, and she too can't look away. Her caramel brown eyes just suck me in, and both of our breathing stops every time it happens. It's as if everyone else just completely disappears. Any time this has happened since we became mates, it leads us right into having sex again.

Which isn't a good thing right now since we're having our first meeting since we got married. It's just the family in attendance for this meeting, so I'm sure they all understand, but it's not what a good leader should be focusing on right now. How was Dad able to focus if Mom was around? His love for her completely changed everything, and he was still able to focus. Is it because they were at war most the time?

Lexie's breathing stops, and I swallow as we continue to stare at each other. I'm about to take the two steps to her on the couch in the living room closest to me when the front door suddenly opens. I look towards the door, a little relieved something was able to break through to me. Uncle Eric is in the room, and even though I'm his Guild Leader, he's my father in law.

I smile as Sophie and Gavin come through the front door, both of them with their heads buried in their phones. Unless you're talking to them directly, they don't look up. Uncle Luke and Aunt Nikiya come in after them, bickering about something.

"Welcome home," I call to them, making all four of them look at me. Lexie comes off her cushion and comes to stand beside me. Her scent so close to me is driving me insane. I swallow again, and force a smile. "How was Australia?"

Lexie takes my hand as the four of them come into the living room. They each dip their heads to Lexie and I, and Uncle Luke replies, "Too damn hot."

"You say that every single time we go there," Aunt Nikiya scolds him playfully, "and yet you never can wait to get there."

Uncle Luke just rolls his eyes at her.

"Why don't you guys take your bags to your rooms and come back down and join us?" I tell them.

The four of them look at Dad, making me lock my jaw.

"Don't look at him for permission," I say, making sure to control my tone. They look back to me, seeming a little startled. "Go take your luggage to your rooms and come back down."

Gavin and Sophie grab one of the bags out of Uncle Luke and Aunt Nikiya's hands, and then disappear up the stairs. When I can't see them anymore, I look around the room. Mom, Dad, Aemilia, R.C., Uncle Septimus, Aunt Aquila, Lexie's parents, and Brianna are smiling a little at me. Braelyn and Logan are looking anywhere other than me with a small curl to their upper lips.