Chapter Twenty-Eight~ PART TWO

In the Midst of the Light

Twenty-Eight

PART TWO

The Warlock

I always did love practicing magic in the dead of night, but there's something about using black magic in the middle of the wood, without a soul around for miles, that just makes it even better. I feel myself getting angrier, and I know it's because of the darkness. To be honest, I'm welcoming it. My powers, mixed with Logan's, Spencer's and Josie's, are unrivaled. Not even Mom is this strong, not that I've tested that theory. I just know it is.

"If Spencer is correct," Logan says from his spot over on the ground, "and he can find more people to join us, then we need to find somewhere big enough that we can gather."

I sigh. "Then figure it out, Logan. And make sure it's well hidden."

I hear Logan click his tongue against his teeth, and then he sighs. "Or we could just build a place."

I turn to look at him, and say, "I don't care if we build it, or if a safe house is already out there, just figure it out."

Logan looks me up and down for a moment. "You're crabby," he points out as he stands from the base of the tree he's sitting against. "Have you allowed the darkness to take over?"

My eyebrows scrunch together. "I thought I already had."

He shakes his head at me. "You're on edge too much, and besides, you'll know if you do."

"Have you let it take over?"

He smiles at me, raises his hands, and then two balls of fire ignite in his palms. He flattens his palms, and the fire shoots up to the sky, burning the leaves in the trees. I smile at the flames, and then look at Logan.

"How do I let it take over?" I ask as I come over to him.

Logan puts out the flames, and replies, "You just let it. At least, that's what I did."

I take a deep breath, work my neck and shoulders, and then let the breath out. I take another deep breath, close my eyes, and focus on the darkness inside me. Just like when I was connecting to my wolf when I was three, I reach out to grab the darkness. As soon as I feel it against my, metaphorical, fingertips, I feel it unleash inside me.