Chapter Ten

In the Midst of the Light

Ten

Lexie

I'm not as comfortable as Valerio is with being in charge. Being a Guild Leader is his birth right, whereas I'm just his mate who by circumstance have the powers of a Guild Leader. Valerio knows exactly what needs to be done, and precisely when it needs to happen. I feel like I almost blindly follow after him. I too know what needs to be done, but I don't have the flare that Valerio has when it comes to actually executing it.

Uncle Cauis taught Valerio well, and I think I need to start taking lessons from Aunt Esmerelda so that way I can be just as productive as Valerio. Especially since it seems our time as Guild Leaders won't be as peaceful as we all thought it would be. I'm not afraid to go up against The Warlock and Zombie, but I am afraid of not preforming my duties like I should. With how informed The Warlock is about us, I know it's only a matter of time before something happens where I myself have to be in charge. The likelihood that Valerio will be occupied, and I have to actually lead the pack, are high, and I need to be ready if it happens.

It is comforting that Valerio won't let me out of his sight. Ever since the other day when Spencer tried to take me, he has been at my side, or at least in the same room as me. He only lets me use the bathroom by myself, but even then he's right outside the door. If he's next to me, his hand is somewhere on me. I've been on edge ever since my almost abduction, so his strong hand somewhere on me helps a lot.

But right now, it doesn't matter that his hand is on the small of my back. It doesn't matter that he's trying to calm me down because there's nothing that can calm me down right now. I think if Aemilia herself calmed down it would help, but her constant pacing and looking out the hotel room window every other minute is having the opposite effect.

"Aemilia," Valerio says as she starts her circuit again, "please sit down."

She grabs the sides of her head, fisting her hair in her hands, as she continues to pace. "I can't, Valerio. I just can't. And please don't order me to."

Valerio sighs quietly while he rubs my back with his thumb through my shirt. We've been in this hotel room for two days, and according to Aemilia, Spencer has already addressed the coven. She doesn't know when the attack will actually happen again, and that's what's driving her insane. My heart breaks for my sister in law. Aemilia and I have always been close, and I have never seen her like this. She's always been so full of life and laughing at a prank she's pulled on someone. Now, it's like she's trying to kill herself to come up with an answer.

Keegan has tried over and over again to be there for her, but she won't let him. Aemilia has almost always handled a situation by herself, and just because she has her mate now doesn't mean she's willing to let him in. About two years ago, Aemilia and I had an intense conversation about when Keegan would enter her life. I know how excited she was, along with how scared, so seeing her like this with him is really hard. What makes this even harder to witness is that you can tell by the look on Keegan's face that he loves her. I don't know how, seeing as how they haven't even been mated for a week, but he is.

Aemilia is completely blinded to it too. I understand that she has a lot on her mind, but I've never seen a mated couple act the way they are. I have a feeling that the reason Keegan is allowing her to treat him this way is simply because of who Aemilia is. Keegan doesn't understand that just because she's considered royalty doesn't mean he has to treat her that way. He is her mate, her perfect other half, and Aemilia should be treating him with that respect.