Chapter Four

In the Midst of the Light

Four

Valerio

I drum my fingers on the table in the club, waiting. Dad and Uncle Septimus are at a table just a little ways away, looking in opposite directions of each other as they wait for Keegan's arrival too. I take a breath, and wrap my arm around Lexie tighter. I can't really sit still, but I can't say anything either. I want to help calm my sister, like tonight was meant to do, but I'm pulling a complete blank on what to say to her. My eyes are glued to her as she chews nervously on her thumbnail. She's barely breathing as her own eyes are focused in the direction of the door.

I force myself to look around the table to make sure everyone else is okay. I had sent Braelyn home, knowing she would just make this even harder on Aemilia. I really don't understand what her problem is. Sophie and Brianna are at the table with us though, and no one is talking. I'm sure we look out of place a little, so I casually slide a drink across the table to Sophie. Someone needs to be drinking while we just stand here. Sophie picks up the drink with a trembling hand, tips it back, and then winces at the harshness of the alcohol.

Aemilia suddenly almost falls into the table. She had been standing straight, and I wonder if her knees were locked.

"You good?" I ask her as Sophie helps her stand back up right.

She looks at me, swallows, and then turns her head towards Dad. I follow her eyes, and then stop breathing. Keegan is standing just in front of Dad's table. Dad and Uncle Septimus are just smiling evilly at Keegan's back, and both of them have a twinkle in their eyes. Keegan's hair is styled, just like from every vision Aemilia showed us all, and he doesn't look to be happy about being here. I know he's still a new werewolf, so being in a club isn't really the best idea. He was bitten just under a month ago. He hasn't even had his first shift yet.

I look at Aemilia, and I can tell she's not breathing. She whips her head to look at me, her eyes begging me to do something before Dad and Uncle Septimus do. She knows they both have a problem with how new Keegan is. I take a deep breath, kiss the side of Lexie's head, and move away from the table.

Dad and Uncle Septimus move towards him when they spot me coming over, and I quicken my pace, just barely getting to him before them.

"Excuse me," I say to Keegan, holding my hand out to Dad and Uncle Septimus behind Keegan's back to stop them. He looks at me, confused for a second, so I continue, "My name is Valerio Heteria," his eyes bulge, "and I'd like to buy you a drink."