Chapter Twenty-Three

In the Midst of the Light

Twenty-Three

Valerio

I shake my head as I watch Aemilia and Brianna set up the decorations. I've told everyone, even the packs, that Lexie and I do not want a party, but no one is listening. We have too much going on to be distracted like this. The Warlock, Zombie and Braelyn are still out there, doing only God knows what. The diamond is safe back in my pocket, despite what everyone wanted. They suggested Keegan keep holding onto it, but as Guild Leader it is my duty to personally make sure the diamond stays safe.

It's not that I don't trust Keegan to watch over it, because I know he is fully capable. If I continue to hold onto the diamond, anyone in the family that loses the battle of not being pulled to it can be commanded by me to stay away from it. With what happened to Braelyn the last time I commanded her, I've decided to stop ordering somebody unless it's absolutely necessary. The consequences of forcing someone to do something can be too severe. Even though I would be protecting them if someone comes after the diamond, just out right ordering them to stay away from it could have a negative reaction. If I order just one of them to stay away from it, the pull the others feel might increase.

Eric found the report Aemilia warned me he would find about the diamond's creator killing half of the human race. The amount of destruction the diamond's creator, Rullus, brought down on the humans is beyond anything I've ever heard about. Rullus lived in Greece sometime between 160 B.C and 100 B.C. Eric isn't sure, since records back then have pretty much all been destroyed. Mom, Dad, Uncle Septimus and Aunt Aquila are helping Eric, seeing as how that's close to their original time. Eric believes that, now that he's found the diamond's creator's name, he can track the family history.

I'm not holding my breath though.

Whoever Rullus' heir is, he'll just have to face me without the powers he can get from the diamond. We still don't know if The Warlock is Rullus' heir, but Aemilia agrees with Eric. She doesn't think she would have had the vision of Spencer going to get it if The Warlock wasn't. I'm inclined to agree with them as well. The Warlock is already more powerful than me, and if he gets the chance to harness the powers from the diamond, I will never be able to stop him. I don't even know how I'm going to do it with the powers I have now.

Lexie, Aemilia, Keegan, Mom, Aunt Aquila, Brianna and I left the house yesterday so we could see how powerful I really have become, now that I don't have to take the pain meds. I used the spell Papa Cyrus had me preform when I first showed signs of my magic when I was five. When I was a kid, Papa Cyrus, Mom, and Aunt Hope all said I wasn't as powerful as my mother, but something has changed. I don't know if it's from my mating with Lexie, practicing over the years, or the threat from The Warlock, but I'm more powerful than the whole family now. I was able to change the nice, sunny weather to a blizzard within the first two cadences alone.