Chapter Twenty-Eight~ PART ONE

***WARNING!!!! EXTREMELY LONG CHAPTER THAT IS BEING BROKEN INTO MANY DIFFERENT PARTS!!!!!!***

In the Midst of the Light

Twenty-Eight

The Warlock

Nine Months Ago...

I run my hand through my brown hair, trying to rack my brain for an answer. I know the answer. I always know the answer, but putting someone's soul back together is a delicate process. I'm not even sure it can be done. Uncle Septimus deserves this though. He's lived without himself as a whole since before I was born. When I was a child, I would see him drinking from Uncle Eric, and I could tell then that neither of them like it, but they tolerate it so Uncle Septimus may live.

This is a large task for someone who is only eighteen to undertake, even though I've been an adult my whole life just about. My rapid growth has made feel like an outcast. My brother and sister, Valerio and Aemilia, don't treat me any differently, I think. Not even Mom or Dad treat me like an outcast, but I still feel like one. I was ten when my growth finally stopped. By that time, I was six foot two, and could solve the New York Times crossword puzzle in less than six minutes.

I sigh a growl when the spell I've created doesn't attach like it should. In order to put Uncle Septimus' soul back together, it first needs to latch onto something else in order to be transferred. A soul can't just float in the air as it's being moved; it needs to connect with something. The spell I'm working on right now is supposed to do that, but it's not working.

There's a knock on my bedroom door, but I don't need to call out to know who it is. Logan is the only one who comes to just hang out with me. Sure, Valerio and Aemilia do too, but part of me thinks they do it just because they feel bad for me. Logan on the other hand, well, he's my best friend and the only other person in the family who understands being different. Since Uncle Septimus is his father, and Uncle Septimus doesn't have all of his soul, it's effected Logan.

He's done an amazing job at hiding it his whole life, but only I know the truth. Logan's own soul is dark, and filled with hatred and an emptiness that no one can fill. Us being so different from everyone else has made us closer. I look at Logan like a younger brother, even though he's my cousin.