Chapter Eleven

In the Midst of the Light

Eleven

Valerio

My hands rip my hair out on the sides of my head as I scream and fall to my knees. My heart splits in two while it feels like it on fire as Lexie dies. I shift, throwing Keegan into the wall because he was standing so close. I growl, and then two sets of arms are around me. As I try to buck Dad and Uncle Septimus off me, we're taken home, and then they let go of me.

I turn to Aemilia as we settle in the backyard, and order, Bring Lexie here now!

Her shoulders fly forwards as she curls her fingers and whimpers. Lexie's scorched body appears on the ground in front of me, momentarily freezing me in my place. I shift after a second, instantly falling to my hands and knees as any possibility of me functioning dissipate. I cry out as someone clothes me, turning my cry into a scream until my lungs are empty and my body is shaking.

"R.C.'s blood will accelerate her protection spell," Aemilia tries to explain soothingly, but the fear in her voice doesn't go undetected. "She'll wake up in three days, brother."

I growl, snap my head up to her, and scream at her, "How would you feel if Keegan was dead for three days?"

The air starts to stir around us as Aemilia shrinks away, taking a step back from the other side of Lexie. I'm so furious at my sister that I don't even care that she's trying to submit to me. Was this the only option to stop the bomb from killing so many people? Or did Aemilia help Lexie because she knew it would work and didn't want to wait to figure something else out? How could my own sister let it get this far? I know this whole thing had been Lexie's idea, but how could Aemilia do this to me?

Aunt Abby's screams fill the backyard, followed by Uncle Eric's. Within ten seconds, the whole family is in the backyard. Mom and Dad come over to each of my sides, kneel next to me, and each put a hand on my back. I don't even realize until they're touching me that I'm still shaking, and my breathing is coming out too quickly.

I close my eyes, trying to get some type of control over myself. I faintly hear Aemilia telling everyone what happened, and Aunt Abby starts crying harder. When Aemilia gets to how long Lexie will be dead for, I push up so I'm just on my knees, pick Lexie up from the ground, and teleport the two of us to our room. I can't hear Aemilia's voice anymore.

As angry as I am at my sister, I couldn't be prouder of Lexie. Yes, I'm just as furious at her, but at the same time she saved millions of lives. Alpha Dubois wants a holiday named after Aunt Nikiya, but Lexie just earned herself one. Every werewolf will be beating down the front door to hear for themselves what the newest Guild Leader did. As I lay Lexie down on our bed, I make a mental note to have the Council Members ready the equipment for another gathering.