Chapter Twenty

In the Midst of the Light

Twenty

Lexie

I scream as my arms around Valerio's midsection snap when we collide with the stage. The wet smacking sound from his head is somehow louder than my scream. My entire body locks up at the sound. Valerio's arms that are keeping me in place against him instantly drop, and then Keegan's hands are pulling me off of him. I scream again, not wanting to let go of him, and from the pain in my arms, but Keegan keep pulling me away from him.

"Valerio!" I scream as Keegan's arms wrap around my stomach, and then he lifts me over his shoulder. I can clearly see Valerio's face from this angle. The color is fading quickly from it, and then I feel his heart beat stop. "Let go of me!" I demand of Keegan, needing to get back to my mate.

His arms drop, and as I'm sat back down on the stage, my head swims. I start falling, and then I feel Dad's arms hook underneath mine, making me scream again. As Dad tries to gently lay me back down on the stage, I see a hoard of people come onto the stage.

"Ronald!" I hear Uncle Cauis scream over the noise of the packs.

Dad peers over me once he lays me down all the way, and then puts both of his hands on the tops of my shoulders. I scream as he heals me, and then Brianna is holding my legs down when I start to kick.

"Everybody off the stage!" Keegan shouts from where Valerio is.

Mom crashes onto her knees beside me, and puts her hand on my right forearm. I scream louder when she starts healing me along Dad and Brianna. After what feels like forever without Valerio's heart beat, the hands on me let go, and I spring to my feet. The packs are just starting to get off the stage, and Ronald is pumping furiously on Valerio's chest. My heart freezes in my own chest, my jaw locks with my mouth hanging open, and I sink to my knees next to Aunt Esmerelda.

She chants a cadence twice, and then I feel Valerio's heart start beating rapidly. "He's alive," Aunt Esmerelda cries.

Uncle Cauis flicks his wrists, and Ronald, Aunt Esmerelda and I land in a room. It's a completely private room, and then Ronald smashes his fist down on a button. The lights in the room turn on, a muffled beeping noise starts echoing outside of the room, and Aunt Esmerelda grabs my shoulders, pulling me away from the bed Valerio is on.

"No!" I shout as I push out of her hold. It's not until I say something do I realize how hard I'm crying. I only felt Valerio's heart stop beating for a few seconds, but those were the worst seconds of my life. I cry harder as I truly realize what I put him through by stopping that bomb in Cairo.