Chapter Thirteen

In the Midst of the Light

Thirteen

Valerio

I clear my throat, shuffle on my feet, and lift my chin as the front door opens. I smile at Alpha Trenton and extend my hand to him as he makes his way across the foyer. He bows before he takes my hand. Alpha Trenton is the Regional Alpha to the western providences of Canada, so he's the first one to show up.

"Your Majesty," he greets me. I don't remember his voice being so, anxious sounding at the wedding. "How is Lexie?"

I have a feeling every Alpha is going to ask me how Lexie is.

I nod my head at him, and reply, "She's okay," I pause for a second, "at least she will be. She'll wake up in a day and a half."

Trenton visibly relaxes, but not completely. He lifts his hand to his chest, and rests it there before nodding at me.

I turn to my right slightly where Keegan is standing just behind me, and say to Trenton, "This is Keegan Andrews, my Second and Aemilia's mate."

Trenton gasps, smiles, and extends his hand to Keegan. "I thought Miss. Aemilia wasn't supposed to find you until September?"

Keegan chuckles nervously as he shakes Trenton's hand. "Fate had other plans," he replies to the twenty-nine year old with a smile.

I turn to my left, and raise my hand to Brianna. "This is Brianna Roberts, Lexie's Second," I tell Trenton.

He dips his head to Brianna and then he looks at me again. "My wife wanted me to apologize to you. She won't be able to make it."

"I understand," I respond as I nod my head, "this gathering is very impromptu. I trust Amy is okay?"

A large smile pulls on his face as he nods his head. "She is quite well, after the morning sickness passes."

I return his wide smile. "Congratulations, Alpha Trenton. Please, pass along my well wishes to your mate."

He nods his head at me, and then looks at Keegan. "How is Aemilia doing?"

I clear my throat, and answer for Keegan, "There is a situation with her," his eyes widen and I see fear settle in. I lift one of my hands and say to him, "She's okay. She will be joining us shortly." Before he can question what is going on, I look at Brianna and casually suggest to her, "Would you escort Alpha Trenton to his room please?"

Brianna smiles at me as she nods her head. She turns her body, holds her hand out to the stairs, and says to Trenton, "If you'd just follow me."

As the two of them go up the stairs, Keegan asks, "What do you mean she'll be joining us shortly?"

I turn my head to my right to look at him, and curl my fingers. We land in mine and Lexie's room where Mom and Council Member Ronald are taking Lexie's blood. "The herb we need to wake them is still in Brianna and Lexie's system," I inform Keegan. "We're going to use their blood to recreate the ingredients needed to wake them, and use what's left over to create an antidote for if this ever happens again."

Mom looks at me, and says, "We have enough to wake one of them right now."

I nod my head at her. "Wake Aemilia first."

With a gathering starting, the packs will want to see Aemilia. R.C. doesn't get the attention my sister and I get, and with Lexie gone for the time being, waking Aemilia first will help calm the packs, at least a little.