Chapter Twenty-Eight~PART ELEVEN

In the Midst of the Light

Twenty-Eight

PART ELEVEN

The Warlock

Why is it that anytime something happens with Valerio or Lexie, everyone loses their minds? Oh, great, they're alive and Valerio can shift without any problems! That doesn't mean a party has to be thrown for them because of it! I'm just so sick and tired of everyone thinking the world revolves around the two of them.

I wish Josie would come home soon. She's been gone for three days while she gathers enough humans to sacrifice for our new bomb, and already it feels like she's been gone a lifetime. How am I supposed to live if she dies? She's not my mate, and even if she was, my wolf is so silent that I doubt he would be able to claim her.

Without Josie around, I just feel dead inside. I feel nothing; which is weird. For months now I have walked around not feeling anything, yet the second Rullus' spell was breaking, an almost overwhelming surge of sadness came over me. Ever since then, I have started to feel things again. Worry, fear, and desperation have all came back to me in full force. Before Josie left, she was able to quiet those feelings, without even knowing they were there. With her gone for a few days, those feelings are all I can think about now.

I step up to Valerio as we watch Aemilia attach streamers to the pool house. When she's done, after sticking her tongue out to Valerio and walking away, I ask Valerio, "You really don't want this party, do you?"

With Josie not being around, I just feel like I want to talk to someone. I guess I should have stopped to think who I was actually talking to before opening my mouth.

"No," Valerio growls. He takes a deep breath as his eyes scan the area. Is he looking for me? The Warlock? He turns his head back to me, and he continues, "The Warlock," I truly love that I'm all he can talk about, "has been quiet." That's because I'm trying to do what Rullus told me to do. I stopped creating bombs, choosing to focus on Valerio, and I think that's what Rullus meant by continuing to do what I'm doing. "And I don't know if you can feel it or not, but I know he's up to something."