Chapter Twenty-Five

In the Midst of the Light

Twenty-Five

Lexie

The Warlock flicks his fingers towards me, and then I'm ripped away from Valerio's side. As soon as my feet land, a gut wrenching, panic filled scream echoes through the living room at home. I fall to my knees, and then I feel Brianna's arms around me. I shove her off of me, making my Second stumble on her feet.

As I continue to scream, I curl my fingers, trying to get back to the room I had just been in, but it's sealed tightly. There's no way to get back in there now. The air in the room stirs, and then I feel Aunt Esmerelda, Uncle Cauis, Mom and Dad enter the room. I don't lift my head from looking at the carpet as I take a deep breath to scream again.

Is The Warlock going to kill Valerio? Is he going to torture him? Will I ever see my husband again? How did The Warlock know we were there? We hadn't been there for more than ten minutes, and we were completely silent, how did he find us so easily?

I scream again, unable to do anything else as I start to fall apart. I hear Aunt Esmerelda ask what happened, and Aemilia explaining it, but I can't focus on what they're saying. I know Valerio is still alive, but that doesn't calm me. It actually makes me worry more. Valerio said over and over again that The Warlock started coming after him because he made an enemy out of him, so what is The Warlock going to do with him? And why does he hate Valerio so much?

Valerio's heart starts beating rapidly, and then I feel him try to channel me, so I open myself up to him.

"He's fighting The Warlock," I yell, interrupting Uncle Cauis. I snap my head up, and order, "Everyone let me channel you."

Six hands immediately rest on my back. I feel a release, and then I feel Valerio completely disappear. His heart stops beating inside of my chest, but not like he's dead. I've felt what it's like for Valerio to die, and this isn't that.

I gasp as I choke on another sob sounding scream, and force myself to say, "He's gone." I push myself up from the floor, making everyone take their hand off my back, and clarify once I'm standing, "He's not dead, he's just gone."

"What do you mean?" Aunt Esmerelda asks as she takes a step towards me.

I shrug as I shake my head. "I don't know. His heart," I say as I put my hand over mine, "it's not there anymore."