Chapter Twenty-Eight~ PART TEN

In the Midst of the Light

Twenty-Eight

PART TEN

The Warlock

I make sure my face is neutral as Aemilia takes her and I to see Valerio. It's been two days since Rullus tried to kill him, and still, I don't know if what I had was a dream, or if it was real. With all the supernatural things that happen in and around my life, I have to believe it was real. If I don't, nothing will work out the way it should. Then, regardless of if Rullus' prediction comes true or not, everything the coven and I have been working so hard to achieve will be for nothing.

I can't even tell any of them what's going to happen. How am I supposed to sit by and let them all die? I wonder if Rullus had the same connection to his coven as I do to mine. Was it just as hard for him to create the diamond, knowing his spirit would die, as it is for me to imagine Josie dead?

As Aemilia and I come into Valerio's hospital room, I swallow from the image that fills my head, and then I see that he's still asleep. What's the point in coming to visit him if he can't even talk?

Aemilia whimpers a little, and then rushes over to the side of his bed. She grabs his hand, gently lifts it, and then kisses the back. "You'll make it, brother," she whispers to him as she puts his hand back down.

I'm sure Rullus is pissed about that fact. I know I am. I lock my jaw, and my upper lip twitches. I take a deep breath, wishing that I could not only kill the both of them, but also wanting to spend as much time as possible with my coven before Rullus' prophecy comes to pass.

Another image of Josie torn to pieces fills my mind, making me take a sharp breath in through my nose. Aemilia snaps her head to look at me from the noise I make, and I feel my gaze become murderous. I don't want to be looking at her. I want to be looking at Josie.

For however much time we have left together.

"Oh," Aemilia breathes, "I swear, he'll make it."

My jaw locks even more as she interprets my look as me being mad at The Warlock. My eyes snap to Valerio, and I want nothing more than to rip his fragile spinal column out of his body.

Remus, Rullus' words fill my head, you must continue the work you are doing.

I swallow, look back to Aemilia, and try to smile as thankfully as I can. "Thank you, it means a lot." Those are words I wish I could have said to Rullus.

The air stirs in the room, and Lexie appears to my right. "Aunt Esmerelda would like to see you," she says, and then she looks at me. "Oh, hi R.C."

I give her a tight smile, dip my head to her, not even feeling the usual need to submit my wolf to hers, and then swallow as I bring my head up. "Hi," I croak out, making it sound more like a growl.

Hey, if Aemilia thought my anger was because of something it wasn't, Lexie should too. I'm not even sure she heard me, seeing as how Lexie moves to stand on the opposite side of where Aemilia is fading away from. It doesn't even bother me anymore that Esmerelda always wants Aemilia. Lexie sits down on the edge of the bed, and lets out a breath. I really need to figure out what's going on with my wolf, but since a Guild Leader is now in the room, I have to stay here until she dismisses me. I just don't understand why he's became so silent lately.