Chapter Eight

In the Midst of the Light

Eight

Keegan

I'm completely clueless on everything going on around me. I feel like an idiot. I was bit nineteen days ago, and already I'm Second to the most powerful werewolf on the planet. How am I supposed to live up to a Heteria's standards? I come from nothing, absolute filth, and yet I'm with the most beautiful woman in the world, and her brother's right hand. The instant I walked into the club three days ago, I knew something was up.

Dalton bailed on me, like usual, and when Valerio walked up to me, I just felt this insane amount of power. And then he wanted to get me a drink.

A Heteria!

All Dalton told me was they were in charge of the werewolves. That the Heteria's are the "Bringers of Peace", his words, not mine.

When the group of females rushed to the dance floor, my entire world stopped. Aemilia's green eyes took the air out of my lungs. I didn't know that Aemilia knew I was coming, not until after we mated. I didn't know she could see into the future. I didn't know anything about her, not even her name. But I'm happy she can see into the future because I might have been lost to my wolf if it weren't for her. My first shift was the most painful thing I have ever experienced. Kidney stones are better than that. It took me over half an hour to shift back, and then Aemilia started breaking down.

She was talking so fast that I couldn't keep up with her. She said there was an attack that was going to happen, and that she had to try and stop it, then we were suddenly in fucking Las Vegas! Dalton left out the part that that family has magic.

Just like werewolves, I thought magic was a myth too.

The vulnerable look in Aemilia's eyes when we got into our hotel room made me feel things I had never felt before. I really think I'm in love with her, but she keeps telling me it's not really me. I don't think Aemilia understands though. In the matter of an hour, she gave me everything I have ever wanted. I have a brother, but no real family outside of him. She has so many family members that you turn a corner in this insane house and there's another one.

And she's absolutely gorgeous. Her blond hair falls to the middle of her softly curved back, and is always curled. Her green eyes are perfectly proportioned with her nose and full lips on her round face. She needs to eat, but she's still completely breathtaking. Every time I see her, even if I just close my eyes, she does this thing to my heart where it stops for a second, and then it will take off into overdrive.