Chapter Sixteen

In the Midst of the Light

Sixteen

Valerio

My heart constricts in my chest as I feel at least thirty wolves die at once. My hold on Lexie drops, and I run full speed towards the tree line, shifting as soon as Lexie is two steps behind me so I don't hurt her. I feel Lexie shift, and then I hear a small army of paws hitting the ground behind me while we run towards the screams. I duck under a tree as it's falling, just barely making it under it before it crashes to the ground.

Smoke is rising towards the southern area of the sea of tents, and Lexie and I turn towards it. Pack members are running at us in swarms, but move to the side when they see Lexie and I. I tear through the tents as I try to get to the packs in the back before it's too late for the remaining wolves.

As we come closer to the chaos, I feel black magic surround us. I warned the packs that they weren't safe here, and now The Warlock is showing them exactly what I meant.

Six figures, all wearing that hooked nose mask and black robes, are levitated off the ground, towards the middle of the trees, and are blasting at the scattering wolves. I shift, knowing I can't jump that high, put clothes on myself, and use my magic to get up to the closet coven member. I raise one of my hands, and freeze them, sending them falling to the ground. I turn towards the next coven member, and I'm shot backwards before I can do anything.

I fly through the trees, my body being beaten by the branches as I shoot towards the sky. Just as I'm breaking through the tops of the trees, I feel Uncle Septimus' hand on my ankle, and hear him shout, "I got you," before he hurls me back to the ground. I tear through the branches again, and my feet connect with a coven member's shoulders. I squat as I continue to fall, grabbing the top of their head through the material of the robe.

We crash back onto the ground, and I feel both their shoulders disconnect from their body as they smack face first against the dirt. I almost rip their head off, but catch a tiny glimpse of Lexie's face, making me not do it. As I let go of the coven member's head, I step off of them and Uncle Septimus lands beside me. I freeze the member on the ground, and turn to see Dad blasting at another member while in his wolf form.

"Don't kill them!" I shout as I grab Lexie's wrist, pulling her beside me.

I grab her hand as I start to run towards Dad. As I run, I look up in the trees, and see that the other members have vanished. We got half of the ones who attacked us at least. I bring my free hand up to the member Dad had blasted, pulling them back down to us. I move them to the member I had trampled into the dirt, and Lexie brings over the one I had initially frozen. Dad, Lexie, Aemilia and I create a barrier around them.