Chapter Twenty-Eight~ PART NINE

In the Midst of the Light

Twenty-Eight

PART NINE

The Warlock

As much as I would love to continue taking out my frustration in the gym, I need to keep a closer eye on Sophie's preparation to receive Nikiya's magic. I still don't think she's ready for it, but that just means she could die when they're transferred. At least, one can only hope.

Stay here with them, I tell Zombie as I wipe the sweat off my face. Let me know if anything happens.

He doesn't respond, which doesn't surprise me after out little chat. He knows he fucked up, but just like me, he doesn't really care. We just have to watch the family even closer now.

As I put the dirty towel in the laundry basket, Valerio waves me over to him. I try not to visibly sigh as walk over to him at the punching bag. "What's up?"

He gathers his breathing as he steadies the bag and then looks at me sadly. What is he about to tell me that's going to piss me off? "I need you to move back into the main house," he tells me.

Are you fucking kidding me? I've been in the cabin, so the family thinks, for nearly a year now. What? One family member dies and suddenly they're worried about me being so far away? It's not even that far! Must I be the only one that acts like they have a backbone?

I calm my breathing before I reply, "I'm fine in the cabin, Valerio. Thank you for your concern though."

His eyes dart behind me, to where I know Lexie is, and then back to me. He takes a small step forwards, and says quietly, but harshly, "That wasn't a request, R.C. The Warlock and Zombie have made it clear that they want to kill our family, so, for my peace of mind, move back into the main house."

Actually, Zombie and I could have killed you all months ago. If we truly wanted you dead, you would be already. I would love to take the Heterias out, but that was never my plan. Shit just happened.