Chapter Twenty-Eight~ PART THIRTEEN

In the Midst of the Light

Twenty-Eight

PART THIRTEEN

Josie

I feel something powerful deep in my chest as Warlock comes off his bed. The way his muscles constrict and release under his, now soaked, black shirt has an effect on me that he's never had before. I let out what little breath I have in my lungs as he freezes midway through tearing Zombie's arm off. I swallow, bite on my bottom lip, and try to imagine what is going through his head.

For months, my Uncle and I have put all of our powers into finding the diamond. When Valerio got it before we could, I saw first hand how angry Warlock was at Zombie for not getting it. Is he finally letting that anger show? It would seem fitting, seeing as how he was just trying to take off the very arm Sophie did.

Slowly, Warlock turns his head towards me, and the way his eyes turn black for a second scares me. My jaw trembles as he turns, putting his shoe on the bed. I gape at him, surprised he would be so unorderly, and my eyes widen as he walks across the blankets. Warlock is very clean, everything must be in it's correct place, so to see him leaving pieces on dirt on the bed astonishes me.

I look back into his eyes from his feet, and I'm not sure if he's okay. Taking black magic from someone is a painful process, so I wouldn't be shocked if he's losing his mind a little. The blankness of his eyes though, is that normal?

He grabs my upper left arm and pulls me to his chest. The first time Warlock was affectionate in front of the coven, when we killed Lexie and he felt her death, it left me in a daze for days after. The coven didn't know there was something between us, but when he kissed me in front of them, it was like the coven just accepted us being together. They didn't start treating me differently, although I was sure they would. It was as if Warlock and I were meant to be together.

But the unchanging shade of his eyes has me worried.

"Warlock?" I barely whisper, truly terrified of him for the first time.