Chapter Fourteen

In the Midst of the Light

Fourteen

Brianna

My face hurts from forcing a smile for the last day. All but one Regional Alpha has arrived, and I have to force myself not to wince as I smile at Alpha Dubois and his wife as they walk through the door. According to my Dad, Alpha Dubois is the Regional Alpha that all the packs go through. He's sorta like the spokesperson for the packs. I'm grateful there's someone who the packs have chosen for the role, that way we don't have to hear the same thing over and over again.

"Welcome, Alpha Dubois," Valerio greets him. I don't know how he can still sound happy to see everyone. He doesn't even sound tired, and his posture doesn't show any signs of weakness.

"Your Majesty," Dubois greets him as he bows. "Lexie still hasn't woken up?"

Every single Regional Alpha has asked about Lexie's state. Dubois seems the most informed about the matter, and I can tell he's anxious for her to wake up.

"Not yet," Valerio replies, his voice slipping into despair a little. He's had this pained look on his face ever since Lexie died, and even knowing she'll wake up, her death effects him greatly.

"She'll wake up in four hours," Aemilia tells him from her spot next to Keegan.

When Aemilia woke up, Valerio allowed Keegan and her to be alone for a while, leaving just him and I to greet the bulk of the Regional Alphas. Because it was just me escorting the Regional Alphas to their rooms, Valerio said I could use my magic to teleport back and forth. It saved time, and actually let me take a breather between arrivals. But seeing as how Dubois is one of the most important Regional Alphas, Valerio said Keegan and Aemilia had to be present when he arrived.

Aemilia timed their entrance perfectly, like always, because they manifested into the foyer just as the door was opening.

Dubois smiles at Aemilia, and bows to her. "Miss. Aemilia," he greets her as he lifts his torso. "I was told you found Keegan already," his eyes flicker to Keegan, and he extends his hand to him, "good job catching her by surprise for once."

Keegan laughs at him, shakes his hand, and then wraps his arm around Aemilia's shoulders. "She still saw me coming," he chuckles as he kisses the side of her head.

"Barely," Aemilia grumbles playfully.

Something has changed between the two of them, but it's not my place to ask what. I'm sure the change is because of Aemilia being under that curse and it's strengthened their bond. I internally sigh, wanting to meet my own mate. I've never asked Aemilia to search the future and tell me when I meet him, or if I do, but seeing her and Keegan together makes me desperately want to ask her.