Chapter Five

In the Midst of the Light

Five

Aemilia

I lift my hand, turning the heat on in the shower even more. I let out a breath as I step back under the spray and adjust to the new temperature. A swift breeze comes into the shower from Keegan opening the shower door. My back is to him, but I smile as I keep my head under the water.

"Mind if I join you?" He asks in a trembling voice. He always asks for permission to do something, and it makes my stomach fill with flutters every time.

I turn, staying under the water, and reply as I swallow, "Would you mind waiting? I just need a minute."

His face drops just a little, but he nods his head. "Just let me know when you're ready."

I watch him through the steam as he shuts the door again. I keep my eyes on his while he walks backwards, eventually getting to the bathroom door. After he closes it slowly, I let out the breath I'm holding. I swallow again as I raise my fingers to my lips, replaying over and over again how his felt there. I close my eyes as I remember how his hands felt anywhere he touched. How every caress felt like satin, and how gentle he has been with me.

After we completed the mating, Keegan shifted for the first time, and at the exact same moment, I had the most violent vision I have ever had. I knew Keegan would shift after our mating was complete, so I knew how to handle it, and he has done amazing getting his Guild Leader powers under control. I was fortunate I knew how to help him, because I needed a minute after my vision.

I have never not been present to actually seeing my vision play out, but the mating with Keegan has changed that. I had wanted to continue with Keegan after he shifted back, but I knew that if we didn't leave right then and there when he did shift back, then the MGM Grand here in Las Vegas would be the newest attack in a string of terrorist attacks that's been happening recently. Keegan and I are staying in a smaller hotel further down the strip, and from my vision, I know this building will be safe if the bomb goes off. Keegan and I are here to try and stop it from happening, and I didn't have any desire to come to Las Vegas, at least not until I had my vision, so I'm sure my gift has gotten stronger.

It's the only explanation I have.

I feel horrible about not letting Valerio or Lexie know what we're up to, but if I don't try and stop the casino from being targeted, thousands of lives will be lost. I know it's none of our business what happens with the humans, but I can't stand by, knowing what I know, and do nothing about it. Valerio always said to keep our eyes on our own people, but I can't this time.