Chapter Nine

In the Midst of the Light

Nine

Valerio

"Fuck!" I yell as I run from the room. Get that barrier up now! I order the pack.

I race down the hallways and stairs with Keegan right on my heels. How was The Warlock able to get through the seal on that room? The only time I've ever seen someone break out of one was years ago, and it had been Dad that did it. I always contributed it to his anger at Aunt Hope at the time, and his Guild Leader powers that were completely focused on saving Mom. But The Warlock doesn't have powers like those. He's a warlock for crying out loud! Even if he used his magic to destroy it, someone would have felt it. He was able to get inside the house, rescue Spencer, and leave completely undetected.

I hadn't thought to put a guard outside the room since Spencer was sealed inside, and I definitely didn't think The Warlock was going to attack us head on like this. I thought he would stay in the shadows, like he always has been, not come into my home. I won't make the mistake of underestimating The Warlock's reach again.

As Keegan and I race outside, I see the pack scattered around the back yard. The ones I can see have their arms stretched out in front of them as they put a shield up. That barrier isn't going to keep him out if he was able to get inside Aemilia's seal.

I spot Lexie by the back gate, observing everyone, and I teleport Keegan and I to her. I wrap my arms around her, crushing her to me as relief that The Warlock didn't take her too comes over me. He easily could have, so why didn't he? I pull away from her just a little when an uneasy feeling suddenly comes over me. I feel like we're being watched. I look around for Uncle Septimus. I need our faster member. When I see him by the side of the house, I yell for him to come over.

"I want you to run the perimeter," I tell him when he gets to us. "Make sure there isn't anyone lurking around."

"I'm on it," he replies, and then disappears.

"I'm going with him," Keegan says right behind me.

I look over my shoulder to him, nod once, and then almost smile as he runs away while shifting. Uncle Septimus being his mentor is the best decision I've made all day. I sigh as I realize it was only this morning that I addressed the pack. It's been a very long day.

Lexie's arms around me loosen slightly, causing me to hold on to her even tighter. Until I can figure out how The Warlock was able to get into that room, I won't be letting her out of my sight. I know Aemilia said my powers have gotten stronger, but I'm not willing to test how strong they really are with Lexie in danger again. I consider myself lucky with how quickly I got to her earlier, but luck can run out.