Chapter Twenty-Six

In the Midst of the Light

Twenty-Six

Aemilia

"What do you mean we shouldn't bring Valerio out?" I ask R.C. while Mom and Dad create the spell in salt on the floor.

R.C. shakes his head at me. "I didn't mean it like that," he replies. "Valerio needs to come out, no question about it, but The Warlock very well could have put something else in the spell for the prison world we know nothing about."

I look at him curiously. "So you're saying we shouldn't even try just because The Warlock might have done something else with the spell?"

R.C. bites on the inside of his bottom lip, takes a deep breath, and says, "I'm sorry, I've become really paranoid ever since Valerio's injury. But you're right. Even if The Warlock added something, we still have to try and bring him out."

I smile at him as I put a hand on his arm. "I've been watching everything too, R.C. But Valerio has gotten stronger with his magic," his eyebrows shoot up. He didn't know Valerio's powers had gotten stronger. "I know we've never combined our magic to achieve something so important, but if we do, we'll get Valerio back."

He puts his hand over mine on his arm, nods his head, and then looks at Mom. "Is it ready?"

"Just about," she replies as she places objects inside the salt. "But you can't start until Lexie is back with Valerio's totem."

As if on cue, the air next to me starts to move. I let go of R.C.'s arm, and turn to where Lexie is manifesting. I look to her hands for the totem, and see they're empty. I look at her, and she says, "Valerio said I'm his totem."

I look at Mom as she looks up from the floor, and she tilts her head to one side, biting on her cheek. "I don't know if that will work." She chews on her cheek again, and then nods her head. "Actually, Valerio is right. The connection between you two is what's needed, I've just never thought to use a person as a totem." She stands from the floor, moves out of the circle of salt, and says to Lexie, "Come sit in the middle. Aemilia, R.C., stand on opposite sides."

The three of us move to our spots, and then Mom recites the spell for us. "Now," Mom continues, "last time this spell was used, it destroyed the cabin too. If things start falling, or breaking, or anything, you can't stop."

"And you're sure we're strong enough to destroy the prison?" R.C. asks.

I chew on my bottom lip, having almost asked the same question. When Mom was trying to destroy Achilles' prison, it took everyone in the pack to do it. Are Valerio, R.C. and I really stronger together than all of them? I know each of us individually is powerful, and together we're a force to be reckoned with, but are we strong enough to destroy an entire world? I would just search the future to see if we do get Valerio out, but because Valerio isn't in this world, I can't see him.