Chapter Twelve

In the Midst of the Light

Twelve

Valerio

I hear R.C. screaming for help, and I snap my head up from looking at Lexie. I kiss the back of her hand in mine, and then take myself to my brother. I land in the living room just in time to see him and Aemilia hit the floor.

"Mom!" I yell as I rush over to them.

I go to Aemilia, instantly regretting how I've treated her this morning. She may have helped Lexie die, but her intentions were good. Both of their intentions were in the right place, and I need to forgive them for that. Aemilia did help stop the largest terrorist attack in history from happening, and now something has happened to her because I've been mad at her.

The air in the living room picks up, and then Mom is crying out. I lift Aemilia and put her head in my lap as the pack starts coming back into the room.

"What happened?" Dad asks as he races over to R.C.

Mom puts her hand on Aemilia's arm, bows her head, and starts to chant in a whisper. I see Aunt Aquila out of the corner of my eye go to R.C. Mom huffs angrily when Aemilia doesn't wake up, and she looks up at me with tears in her eyes.

"They've been put under the sleeping curse," she tells me as a tear comes down her face.

"Then go get the herb to wake them up!" I tell her, trying not to yell at her but my worry over everything that's happening grips me tightly.

She shakes her head at me. "Aquila and I took all of the herb last time we were there." A pained look comes over her face as she looks down to Aemilia. "We had to use all of it on Lexie and Brianna, and it won't grow again until next year. The herb we were able to get was almost dead as it is."

"The cabin was inside the barrier, right?" Brianna asks behind me.

"Luke and I put it up," I hear Aunt Nikiya answer her.

I close my eyes, knowing that no matter what we do, The Warlock is able to get through any defense we put up. Even putting our blood into the new barrier didn't work. Was The Warlock going after R.C.? Why? What possible reason would he have to go after him? R.C. isn't a threat to him like Aemilia is. Or was he simply going after Aemilia and R.C. is just collateral damage? How are we supposed to stop him now with Aemilia under this curse? She was the only one who could see anything dealing with him.

I snap my head up, and look around the room. The only two people who aren't here is Uncle Septimus and Keegan. I curl my fingers, bringing the two of them into the room. Aemilia's heart is still beating, so Keegan wouldn't have felt any change in her through their link, but he might be able to wake her up.