Chapter Twenty-Two

In the Midst of the Light

Twenty-Two

Valerio

Finally, I'm being wheeled out of the hospital. It's been a week since my sister, apparently, saved my life. I'm not sure how she was able to actually handle being in the operating room with Dr. Egelston, but I owe her everything because of it. Aemilia has even already started looking into going to med school. When she was visiting me a few days ago, she was telling me about the school she would be going to, even though she's still in the process of sending in her admittance exams. She'll get in though, and I couldn't be happier for my sister. As long as, when she graduates and begins her surgical internship, she works at a shifter hospital like the one I've been in, she can use her gift to save so many people. According to Lexie, everyone is a little shocked about Aemilia's decision, but it's the best way to use her gift, so everyone supports her.

What shocks me though is the fact that The Warlock hasn't made a single move, that we know of, this entire week. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop though. It's too quiet, and my wolf knows something is about to happen. I thought I was being paranoid, but when Dr. Egelston agreed I could go outside for a little while yesterday, I could feel it in the air.

Lexie has the packs on high alert, and has done a beautiful job handling them. The Warlock may not have made any moves against us, but Braelyn did by coming back for the other coven members. Unlike everyone else in The Warlock's coven, Braelyn doesn't wear that mask, and since her and Brianna look exactly alike, she was able to just walk right in and take them. It wasn't until Logan noticed someone moving around in the pool house did anyone even think something was happening. The packs are still in the backyard, but they had thought it was Brianna.

Logan put his life in danger trying to stop her, but just like with Lexie, Braelyn is too powerful for us to stop her. Braelyn was able to get the coven members out, but they're useless to The Warlock now since none of them have magic. I know Braelyn isn't as powerful as The Warlock, and by us not being able to stop her, I have a very bad feeling about what will happen when we finally do find The Warlock. How are we supposed to be able to stop him? And why the hell didn't I think to strip Braelyn of her own powers? I completely overlooked taking them away, and I think it's because she's still my cousin, and I still feel like I forced her into joining The Warlock.