Contest #46 Results

(You tell your story to the man dressed in blue in red, and he nods, knowingly.

"Very well, then, brave soul. The world is yours to take."

He steps to the side and holds a hand out towards you. A brilliant light shines in from the open doorway. You can't make out what lies out in the open world, but it's a world in which you exist. A unique creature, in a beautiful world full of adventure, and the opportunity to be who you want to be.

You take his hand and follow him through the threshold.

"This," he says, motioning to another, who sits facing her twin in a conversation, "is ForevaFranticFangirl who has faced the world built on her past and accepted those actions in the world of her future. She might not be top level just yet, but she recognises that it's a journey, that there are still conquests to add to the victories she holds, and that progress, while not substantial, is progress nonetheless. You'll see in this world, when I release you, that every small action, every decision and every quirk of your personality, builds towards something much greater for you tomorrow."

You politely nod at the girl, who smiles at you and returns to face her twin, locked in a deep conversation.

The man leads you down a narrow pathway, towards a few market stalls. In the sea of people, you notice a woman with two small girls. There is nothing that should set them apart from the rest, but perhaps the smile on her lips catches your eye. "Who is that?" you ask the man.

"That is b_odelius and her children. If you were to look at her achievements, you'd see she is a proud mother, who has overcome the struggles of the old world. In a world where the self is a construct of the other, she has conquered those foes. She has learned, in this new world, that you can be proud, happy and strong when you realise that these things are worth the fight."

You consider this for a moment. You've told the man who you are, and who you want to be. You didn't think that you'd be so awe-struck with the other characters.

AS you follow the man, still holding your hand, he leads you through the town. You make comments on the other characters and their clothes, and he gives a brief explanation when it's necessary. You see homes, taverns, public forums filled with people. You can look down the alleyways, and up onto the rooftops, and there are more characters, each with their own story.

The night begins to set in as you learn about the culture and the world of this story, and the torches light the street when you eventually reach the end of your journey. You are stood in front of a large temple, casting ominous shadows in the firelight of the torches. The moon is not out tonight.

"Before I release you into this world, I must inform you of the lurking dangers." He leads you up the steps, and in through the archway. You see a collection of severe statues lining the walls. "These are the heroes and villains of this world. That one," he points to a severe stone figure, "is plottingalong who represents the darker side of this world. Not all who venture here are left unscathed from the life before. It's a terrible lesson to learn the hard way, but it is one that must be learned. Knowing yourself and who you are is a process that takes time, and while in this world you might believe that you have a clear idea of that right now, you might discover new things, different ideologies and unpopular philosophies. And that, in the end, is the importance of your journey, to find yourself subject to hardships and pains. In those fires, your true self is forged."

You study the statue, and a chill runs down your spine, so you turn away. You are faced with another, on its knees, clutching its head.

"Ah, yes," says the man, "this is I-eat-carrots in the eternal struggle. This new world, is might have said, is the release from the former self, but that is only true if you action that. The past is not so easily forgotten, and it lingers in the spirit. This one is in the constant battle between the new and the old. The past is easy, comfortable, and it wins most of the time, but the war is never over until you give up."

You consider your role in this. The man has asked you who you are, and you've told him you want to be, but the question he's never asked you is why. Why are you here?

"Don't despair," he says. "They come to us for many reasons, and those reasons do not matter. The only consequential thing you can do in this world is work towards something greater. Take a look over there." You follow his finger, and you see a large statue dominating the temple, sat upon a throne with an expression of contempt.

"You are in the presence of  the Warrior Princess. Not all the battles you will face here are instigated by villains or monsters. The point of the world here is to accept our victories and losses over the battles we have faced before. To accept those with dignity, and pride, and, if necessary, anger and contempt. You'll find, in your journeys, that not all battles are won, not all losses are fair, and that whatever you become here is not completely independent of who you've been. Come, your time is up. I must attend to others."

You follow the figure back outside, and he releases your hand.

"Whatever you do, remember the people, and, most importantly, remember yourself. You will do a great many things – I cannot say it will be without struggle, but by now you must realise that the will to fight is worth the reward. I cannot say you will do well, or even bad, but I can guarantee that whatever you do, you will be a sigil of hope for the new patrons, like yourself, in days to come."

The man gives you a gemstone with your name inscribed onto it. You study it closely, and when you look up, the familiar blue and red robes are gone.)