Free-Write

I've had a very in-depth discussion with Nadia from the @contests account (i.e. I said a few things and she nodded politely).

The thrilling conclusion of that dialogue was that I need to take a brief break. Well, Nadia hasn't really said as much, but, as before, she gave me free reign here and I will rule like a tyrant.

A tyrant, that is, which is taking a long nap.

With that executive decision having been made, I felt it would be odd to just up and leave without a final parting word (and I must ALWAYS have the last word).

There is no contest this week. I will not judge anything other than Contest 48. But there is still loads for you to do.

Take one of these prompts and/or suggestions (take all of them, for all I care) and run wild. I'd very much still like to read and interact with everybody – no sense in being idle in our little community just because I'm in need of a nap.

Or, more accurately, I don't want anybody to stage a revolution while I'm not looking. Focus that revolutionary energy into writing a biting political satire or something.

Be sure to message me, or tag me @TimberWoolf in a comment when you share your piece if you want we to get a notification when you've written it. (Or, as @DavidLikesBigRobots has helpfully pointed out, I just want more attention.)

Here you go, some things for you to do:

General Prompts:

Rework that unfinished draft from five years ago. You've grown a lot, and you've learned a lot. Maybe you can overcome that brick wall that stopped you with your new insight.

Write a crossover fan-fiction. Those are always fun and interesting. I know I have that drafted crossover between The Elder Scrolls and Avatar: The Last Airbender (an avatar named Siyore meets the Madgod Sheogorath in her dreams and it is divine.)

Write a story backwards. Start with the end, finish with the beginning. See how you can whittle an interesting narrative structure. The first time I watched the Alice in Wonderland live action, my DVD player (for some reason) played all the scenes in a random order, and I thought 'Oh, yeah, it's a story about madness. I really like that they made it like this.'

Write a story in which in the character is aware that they're in a book, and they try to interact with the reader. In high school, one of my friends challenged me to write a story in which the character falls in love with the reader, and I've never been able to. Perhaps you will.

Confess your feelings. Write a piece in which you tell that boy that you're absolutely smitten with him because of how he chews his pencil, or write that letter that explains to your mother that you want to leave home, or tell the teacher that she saved your life, or make sure your dog understands that you would defend them to the death. Whatever, but feelings must be confessed.

Create an interesting recipe. How to bake a friendship: Ingredients include quirky personality traits and a mutual obsession over Teen Wolf. How to make the Perfect Christmas Dinner: Step 1: Make sure your boyfriend knows that you will murder him if he gets you socks (again).

Design a contest. These things are really difficult for me to come up with. My brain is so tiny and my interests are so narrow. I'm sure you have many wonderful ideas and, who knows, maybe someday I'd use it?

Have a cup of tea. Sit down and drink some tea, taking in the world around you – the textures, flavours, the madness and the semblance of order within it. Then write that. Describe it as far and deep as you can. Really use the pretty words, or the ugly ones. Use them all.

Apologise. Write a really dramatic piece about the most elaborate apology ever, but also explore those emotions.

Whatever. Do absolutely whatever you please. I cannot possibly make a more open prompt.

Final notes:

I'd really love to read your piece. It's so wonderful to interact with you and get to know you, and I feel that I've (possibly) made a few friends here. So, while this is not a contest, per se, still share your stories here, and read some others. Discuss your favourite things and maybe you'll make a new friend too.

Next week, however, we're going to go all out. I've been planning another massive follow-up to our Journey contest and I hope you're as psyched as I am.

With many a contrite regard

TimberWoolf

(curls up and takes a nap)