Contest #47 Results

I've said this before and I'll say it again:

I am an unintelligent creature. I like the simple things in life. I cannot math, I cannot count, never learned to read or write, and most certainly I cannot philosophise.

But I do like cheese. And that heavenly ambrosia which is crème soda.

What is my point?

There is none – a consequence of my simplicity is the inability to partake in rhetoric.

It's not wrong, however, to shy away from philosophy. It's a sign of the times, if anything.

This is a world in which we've been –

Aww, as I'm typing this up I've received messages from both Rahimah110203 and Emo_anime_4_life and they're incredibly sweet. Thanks, you two!

- in which we've been subject to romanticism ideals and the influences of modernism. What are you to do with that? A lot of the work I read in these contests are almost exclusively focused as outlets of artistic emotion – personalised explorations that do not necessarily abide by the dictated laws of modern art. I think that's a wonderful and important part of the author's journey in interrogating and creating a substantive and recognisable author's voice.

As such, I bring to your attention alphamadame with 'Love is madness...' – a piece that perfectly depicts this explorative journey.

On the other hand, I see a lot of disconnect from this romanticism – a modernised critical thinking which questions the ideologies we've come to incorporate in our arts while de- and reconstructing narratives we can identify in modern works. This is important – it helps us to understand the why and how of what I'd very much like to call the 'Artistic Mish-Mash'.

The philosophies we encounter and explore, question and answer, aren't the crux of the exercise. In that exploration we discover the threads that constitute the tapestry of the world. Maybe sometimes we have an answer, and maybe sometimes we're left with a million more questions. Alas, in true narrative form, it's about the execution of the exercise that makes it worthwhile.

I'm not going to declare winners this week. We've had a grand total of four entries, and they're all pretty wonderful.

Three of those contributors have been mentioned, and the final is  with a whopping entry called 'Dark or Light' in the book called 'Barnarnia and the Twisted Tales' (it's chapter 33? I don't recall.)

I'm not going offer much more than direction towards these authors. I liked the stories, but, then again, I'm not a very deep thinker. Philosophy is not my strong suit. Go explore their works, and see what you can glean from the narratives they've weaved around their chosen philosophies.

With that, I leave you and carry on with my journey through infinite bad decisions and simple pleasures.

TimberWoolf out, y'all.