Contest #53 Results

Week two of the endeavour for our new guest-judge system, I've asked VexHellfireto participate. She's been active in the contests and her work... creeps me out, to be honest. Mostly, however, she has a book where she reviews stories on Wattpad, and I thought she does it very well. I've found many interesting books because of it.

My review skills aren't the best, so I thought I might invite her to show the good citizens of our community what a truly good review looks like and raise the bar for me. I do have regrets: now I actually have to push out some quality content.

Since I've asked her, Vex has been a real contender for the position of TimberWoolf's Favourite Person on the Internet (better watch out David) and we've even planned her friend's wedding to some obscure celebrity. That, ladies and gents (and other), is what lifelong friendships are forged from: mutual sarcasm and ironic wedding-planning.

Here is what Vex has to say:

My chosen winner: Deception Haunts Perfection by 

Once I'd finished reading this entry, I think I had a midlife crisis (I'm here for a good time, not a long time). It was deceptively hard-hitting and a beautiful piece of work. The grammar, vocabulary and imagery were all taken into consideration and carefully crafted by the author to give the perfect impression. The ending - it was bitter sweet and I found myself wanting to smile through tears. That's what really hit me hard - it was real, it was honest, it was bare. So thank you to the author, and all you authors, for adding to our archives of short stories.

I'll be interrupting here, because I think it's very important to reign Vex in – really, I suspect that once you give her the spotlight you've signed your death-warrant (and I don't want to set a standard for good reviews, that would really be my death warrant).

I've chosen my winner as elliejustarrivedwith 'Mirrors'.

I can't honestly describe why, and the following review doesn't do my feelings about the piece justice, but I'm going to write anyways and hope it makes sense:

The piece seems so real and human. It has that famed 'Slice of Life' feeling to it - being incredibly vivid and natural all while being fantastical and strange. I'm particularly fond of the narrative style. It seems so casual, natural, easy, like it belongs exactly where it is and it belongs in the images of my mind.

Just two girls flinging tiny drink umbrellas into a river while talking about a stupid party. I can't think of anything more contemporary.

I'm particularly impressed by the relationship between the girls and how they seemed so fleshed out, like complete human beings, in so few words and barely any interactions.

This is a wonderful piece and I'm very sad to be so unable to explain why I think so. Perhaps you'll have to go see for yourself.

Before we conclude, Vex and I want to mention some pieces we feel were extraordinary even though we haven't presented them as the winners.

Vex's special mention: The Unicorn Suicides by

Oh hell - this was genius and had me laughing from the second sentence. No more need be said - just genius.

TimberWoolf's special mention: Siren by TheDrunkenChipmunk

I am obsessed with Ray's writing style and, while I do try to be objective, this is subjectively my drug.

I have one TimberWoolf Certificate to give this week:

'Fever Dream' to every entrant. The stories were wild and confusing and I feel like we've all been doing LSD. I'm so proud of us.