Contest #50ish Results

SooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOooOoOOOOoooooOOOOoooOOOoooooooO.

Here's the thing.

Or things, rather. Plural. So many things:

WHY DOES EVERYBODY HAVE CHICKENS? I WANT CHICKENS. I actually had a pet chicken a long time ago (his name was Chook, like in Bryce Courtenay's 'The Power of One') and he was such a sweet creature. Photo of when I took him to work is attached. He looks so grumpy and it's adorable. I really like birds in general? All animals in general? Like, okay, hold up. I used to be so frightened of birds (geese especially) but then we got two baby crows and they loved me and I loved them and now I am the Bird King.

Also, I am almost married to most of you now. There were two particular comments I really liked to my proposal: "If you're a boy, then YES, otherwise, sorry I'm gay." and "If you're a boy then yes, otherwise, sorry, I'm straight." I mean, as a boy, I do recommend that both of you rethink your stance. I've dated boys. They're horrible creatures.

ARE WE DOING DND THINGS? What are some of your favourite/funniest DnD experiences?

I'm very disappointed that NOT A SINGLE ONE OF YOU said your favourite drink was Creme Soda.

Your book recommendations have given me newfound purpose in life. Honestly. Dudes. Like, legit. You read some pretty weird and fun things and I am honoured that you shared them with me.

You're not here for that, though. Here are some results posed as reviews because we had seven entries and I'm not declaring a winner.

For Contest 5: Murder at 37.

Astrid_Krumholtz and 'The Killer We Know':

This story has it all. It has the unlikeable characters that you think are totally the killer, the satisfaction of having them killed, and the comedy to make it not-so-serious. I really like it as a light-hearted Whodunnit, and I think that while we all know who the killer really is along, we read anyways for the tension and the fun times.

CourageousPrincess18 and 'Flickering Lights, Flickering Life':

There is one sure-fire way to keep me reading, and that is to ensure that your story is Miraculous fanfiction. While I think this was teetering between a television drama and a romantic mystery, I still enjoy the little things brought to the table. The focus isn't so much on who the killer is, but more on how we need to find the killer in order for love to blossom: a very effective character-driven story if I must admit.

For Contest 7: Poetry (Limericks and Haikus).

VexHellfire and 'Shanties for the Solemn'

I had a little bit of a laugh, and, actually, you know, it's really difficult to come up with witty limericks, so kudos to you, Vex. I promise not ask.

For Contest 8: 200 Words

OnlyKnownAsCOfficial and 'Knock on Wood'

If I was going to declare winners, this would be number one, but I'm not so it isn't. This story is so tense in the mere 200 words, and that ending earns C the 'I Did Not See That Coming' award.

It's incredibly well-written and incredibly tense exploration on fear, this is by far one the scariest pieces I've read on WattPad, and I realised that only with the final line. What a ***** tense piece.

For Contest 16: 'The Moment I Knew'

Bookshop_till_I_drop and 'Conversion'

I'm very happy to see Bookshop back and writing for us, and 'Conversion' is the type of work that I'd expect from what I've seen. Its a heartbreaking piece and representative of a horrible truth the LGBTQIA+ community faces in life.

It's also a very poetic angle to take on the affairs, and I think it's a wonderful contribution the literature for the culture. Don't read it if you enjoy happiness.

For Contest 20: Lines from a song.

ForevaFranticFangirl and 'Fly':

A song inspired a generous and contemplative narrative on the virtue of 'Earning Your Wings' (for lack of better terms). This is a story about finding yourself, a sort of fantastical, magical children's tale.

It's not my preferred genre, but I can appreciate the vivid, beautiful imagery and the representation of our character's internal conflict. I think it's a very good experience to have for literary exercise, and perhaps you can learn a lesson or two from reading it.

NancyAnn5 and 'What Once Was':

This one is in line with what OnlyKnownAsCOfficial did: It is very short and very poignant, an exploration on what it is to be human and alive, hurting and healing through the lens of love and existing.

The last line really packs a punch too. My dudes, why are y'all doing this to me?

It's over and gone and I learned a lot about the lot of ye, and I don't think that's an experience I have time for again in the near future. I have like, at least a million weddings to plan.

You're all invited, by the way.

Much love (this time)

TimberWoolf