Mother's House of Horrors Part 1

A Tenebrous Presence Looms

The recent disappearance of thirteen-year-old Maggie Rose has been the source of much debate and fright as the citizens of Carsden prepare for the annual Harvest Festival. Reports of flickering lights emanating from the depths of the Unlived Forest along with vicious and unprovoked animal attacks following the disappearance of Ms. Rose, keep many of Carsden's residents lying restless in their beds.

There are varying accounts on the disappearance and differing tales as to where the young girl was last found. Some tell of the young girl entering the confines of the Unlived Forest to the North early Monday morning, while others recount a young Maggie Rose playing amongst the ashes in The Circle in an almost trance-like state. The Circle is said, by legend, to have been the sacrificial spot for the witches during the earlier years of the Carsden's existence.

Although the search for Ms. Rose is on-going and, so far, most of the town has volunteered to participate in the search, there are those who suspect this all to be a ridiculous ruse. In light of the approaching thunder and storms that are predicted to last the fortnight, however, the search is expected to cease soon, much to the dismay of the parents.

Citizens are urged to remain locked within the confines of their homes after sundown as a contingency in light of the unprovoked and vicious animal attacks. Residents are additionally advised to stay as far away as possible from any animals that may cause harm. Dog-owners are urged to keep their dogs well out of sight in response to the rising number of dog attack cases in which the majority of victims are children.

Yesterday, in a public appearance at Heretic Hall, Mayor Jason stated: "Though these tragedies are upon us, we are working to solve them as fast as humanly possible. In addition, preparations for the Harvest Festival will continue and are expected to proceed as it they always have."

The Harvest Festival is a small ray of light for Carsden in this strange time, with a hope that tourists will return and participate in the family events near Dour Lake. Already, many residents are preparing boarding rooms and restaurants for the expected surge in the economy.

Preliminary Note:

Today, we're introducing the October Community Project! It's a very exciting affair and an idea that's been worming around in my brain since mid-August. While my idea was only in its infant stages, the community has really contributed the majority of this project's conceptual work.

I'd like to give a special thanks to @Tammzz who, since the Murder Club thread, has become a regular contestant and has designed all the art associated with this Contest. @VexHellfire has contributed immensely to the conceptual development of this project and has made us that lovely (read: unsettling) video. @QueenXirinOfArvada and @Kiradog234 are our resident lore-makers/writing-content producers, and @Poppins_Yahooize is going to be our chronicler for this contest, keeping track of all the fun and interesting developments during the project.

Given the incredible turnout for The August Whodunit – our previous Community Project – I've tried to make this one much less limiting. Everybody is encouraged to enter and join in on the fun, as well as check out our Discord Server (which has had an incredible overhaul for this particular contest).

Mother's House of Horrors:

This month, we're working on a project called 'Mother's House of Horrors'.

We're going to assume the roles of citizens living in the small town of Carsden, surrounded by the Unlived Forests. We're preparing for the Harvest Festival at the end of October, but strange things have been happening, and nobody's really sure why.

You will be one of these citizens, and the contest will span four weeks and gradually reveal more and more about the mysteries that have been turning everybody into monsters.

For this first week, we're doing preparation. All you need to do is the following:

- Establish a character: Make a character for yourself, considering their background, work and social life. I encourage you to develop characters which have severe flaws for the next phase.

- Meet other characters: Comment a brief introduction of your character in this section and meet other characters. See if you can develop relationships with other characters – rivalries, friendships, ex-lovers, professional relationships and familial bonds.

- Explore the town of Carsden: Pick up on any hints that you can and build up lore around them. What is The Circle? Why is Heretic Hall called that? What happens in the Unlived Forest? Is Dour Lake a safe space to visit? Why is the Harbour out of use?

- Make a book dedicated to your entry for this contest and write a story about how your character is coping with the strange events as outlined in the Heretic Report.

Make a Submission:

In order to make a submission, notify me, TimberWoolf, via private message with a link to your book and I'll add it to a dedicated reading list. There you can find other entrants as well.

Meet the Beasts:

Be sure to follow my account, TimberWoolffor any incidental updates on the contest and important notifications. I'll also be sharing the link to our discord server (it's really cool, btw).

We've been working hard on improving the community, and there's loads to do there: RP as your character, join the discussion groups, play RPG games, participate in group writing projects, be part of Contests planning and discussions, listen to music and try to cope with all the shenanigans.

Really, it is lovely and a good place to get help if you have any questions. I looke forward to seeing yu there!

- TimberWoolf.