Contest #48

Do you think you can get critical?

Often with these contests, I'm left with the philosophical freeze of figuring out why I like the stories that I do.

Certainly, I judge by measurable criteria – language use, plot structure, character design, narrative voice, and any other special criteria for that particular contest.

But my judgement criteria also contain a 'Bias', a score I give that isn't substantiated by any definitive design. It's that ephemeral draw that you feel to art that you cannot really explain, and it's usually the tiebreaker when it comes to ranking contest entries.

Of course, I've been trained to analyse that bias, but that doesn't make it any easier to word it out.

In college, I'd spend hours analysing scripts, cinematic design, music scores and aesthetic indicators, acting clues and all things of that nature, but in the end, I've realised that I'm pretty okay with saying I like it because I like it – end of story.

So, my biggest challenge was defining why other people liked it using academic research and reference, and I've kinda sorta maybe tried keeping true to that maxim in these contests.

But I won't make you do that.

I'll let you in on a secret: my best essay scores came from when I ignored all the rules the set out for me, when I wrote about the things I was truly passionate about.

Once, we were to discuss how liminality influenced and reflected in African productions, and I was just like, "Y'know who's pretty liminal? Cher." And then I wrote about Cher's music.

Once, we were supposed to interrogate the representation of the 'Other' in modern films, and I said, "Nah. The most accurate representation of the 'Other' is all of Metal Music." So I wrote about Maria Brink and her music.

For my final thesis, a focus on audience response and review, catering to productions and the audiences they reach, I wrote about the Tomb Raider games. In film school. I'd say that's pretty enlightened.

So, really, I think when you're truly passionate about the topic you write about, you have no holdbacks on the lengths you're prepared to go in order to make a point.

And that's what I want from you.

I want you to write a piece on one of your favourite stories. Tell us why you like it. See if you can figure out why the things you like work for the story. See if you can communicate that clearly and convincingly.

Some tips:

Assume I don't know the story you're talking about. Explain everything you need to.

Don't worry about being 'academic' – write the way you do.

Help others. In college, one of the most wholesome rituals was to read each other's work and offer insight: "I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Can you explain it differently?" "I like this point. Maybe consider adding this useful information..." "I think I understand what you're trying to say, but have you considered..."

Take these things in good spirit. When people make these comments, they're never trying to fight you. If you disagree, it might be better to talk out your reasoning and listen to their reasoning, and perhaps you'll get to a common point of understanding.

Really interrogate yourself and your motivations. "I liked this story because it was funny" isn't as effective as "I like the humour because it was perfectly timed to dissipate the rising tension from the earlier confrontation. It shows that the characters can still get along despite their different opinions, which is important because..."

Some final notes:

I'm of the wholly unfounded and unsubstantiated opinion that once we have taken a critical look at why we like the things that we do, we can do the things that we like a little better. Maybe you'll learn something about why your favourite stories work, and you can try that when you write. Maybe you'll become a little more aware the little things which set your favourites apart from the others, and you can identify opportunities for them in your own work.

Most of all, perhaps you can learn something from one of the other entries.

This isn't a contest, per se, and I'm not exactly sure how to judge it. We'll burn that bridge when we get there.

Due date is on Sunday the 26th of May.

VERY IMPORTANT: HOW TO ENTER A VALID ENTRY ALSO SEE DETAILS REGARDING GOOGLE LINK

In order to ensure that your submission for this week's chapter of Weekly Wattpad Contests is valid, please follow the steps below:

(1) Write your entry and make sure that it meet the guidelines or requirements for the contest.

(2) Publish it in a book under your Wattpad account. It can be a book dedicated to your entries, a chapter in one of your existing books or just a book with that single entry.

(3) Add "This is my entry for Weekly Wattpad Contest #48" before you write your entry. Make sure Contests is tagged and the contest #number is correct. Note that this does not have to be the title of your published chapter or work, simply just a text input before the introduction of your contest entry as an additional safety measure.

(4) Comment in the comment section of this chapter and state where your entry was published in your profile and the title of it book it is in.

(5) Share the love by voting, commenting and encouraging friends and fellow competitors!

What does the winner get?

Apart from the fact that as a writer you can brag about winning a freaking Weekly Wattpad Contest, the winner will also get a follow from as well as a shoutout in the next chapter, in addition to that, a detailed review as to why your entry was successful will also be published and if you have any works of your own, that will also be read and commented on.