Part Four

My coworkers threw a going-away party after work today.  Lisa, being Lisa, was in charge of it all, and they even got me a cake. 

"Are you sure you won't change your mind?" Lee, our station manager asked after making several offers to entice me to stay. 

I smiled up at him.  "I appreciate all your offers, but it's time to go home."

"I understand, but if you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to call.  Especially if you find yourself looking for another job."

He gave me a hug.  "You'll be the first one I call." I hugged him back. 

"You're going to be missed around here." Lance said.  He's one of our salesmen, and he has struck up a friendship with Lisa and I, well, as close as Lisa will let anyone other than me get, which is her norm. 

"I'll miss you almost as much as I'll miss Lisa." I hugged him.

"This sucks balls." Corey, one of our producers said.

I gave him a hug too.  "I'm only one call away."

"You'll be in my dreams." He said as he stepped back and wiggled his brows. 

I laughed at him, he is young and very flirtatious.  "We need to work on your sexual harassment skills."

Everyone laughed.  I had my box of memories and going away gifts in hand, when Lisa and I finally left.  Tomorrow is the big day, and it's getting harder to leave Lisa behind.  I don't have much since Gray kept our furniture and Lisa's house is fully furnished.  I boxed up the majority of what I own and sent it to my parent's house, leaving me with just a few suitcases and Izzy.  My flight leaves at 8 am, so I have an early start tomorrow. 

Lisa and I ordered Chinese and drank wine all night, then the dreaded moment came when she drove me to the airport. 

"Are you sure I can't change your mind about moving home?" I asked.

"We've been over this a thousand times, Cora.  Home might bring you good memories, but for me, it's nothing but nightmares.  You will be fine, and we can video chat daily." She said as she drove. 

"I know, but it won't ever be the same," I said.

"Have you heard from Gray?" She asked.

"Yeah, he's still saying he's looking for a job back home.  That will probably take some time, so, hopefully, he will meet someone and move on since I won't be around to hold him back.  He deserves so much better than what I can give him." I said, knowing I mean the same for me.  He can never give me what I need.

"I hope you're right, he really is a nice guy." She reached down for her coffee and took a sip before setting it back down.  She sees his cheating years ago as immaturity, I see it as a problem.

"I'll send you some Skyline Chili to remind you of home.  Maybe even tempt you a little." I said.

"Now you're making me hungry." She smiled.

"They have those packets so you can make it, but if I can't find them, I will send you some cans.  Is there anything else you're craving?"

She smiled and looked at me.  "Maybe some Graeter's Ice Cream?"

I laughed.  "That won't travel well, but I could send something else."

She looked over at me and smiled again.  "Frisch's tartar sauce." We said at the same time and laughed.

"I'm making Mom stop at Skyline on our way home from the airport. God, I miss all the small things about home." I said.

"Remember your one job, Cora." She gave me a huge smile.

"Go to King's Island and ride the Beast!" I laughed.  Kings Island is a large amusement park back home.

She laughed at me.  "Don't forget to go to Findlay Market and get that Jarlsburg Cheese and Chateau Pomeau wine.  The strawberry and not the raspberry, but also get some white to go with the cheese, then please go to the Festival of Lights and get pictures for me at Christmas." She said.

"Done, but it would be a lot more fun to do with you, if you could please come visit."

"I'll think about it." She said as she pulled up in front of my terminal. 

She looked over at me.  "Cora, don't cry."

"I can't help it," I said, and she reached over and hugged me. 

"Closing any chapter of our lives usually does hurt, but you won't regret this move, I promise." She hugged me tightly. 

"I love you so much, and I'll miss you.  You were my favorite part of Seattle." We let go, and she wiped a tear off her own cheek.

"Do you see what you've done?"

I laughed a little.  "You're going to miss me." I smiled through my tears.

"Like crazy, but you're going to run late for your flight.

We got out, and she helped me with my bags and Izzy who is in her crate, then gave me one last hug.  "You're going to kill it in that market, and someday, you'll be giving the weather nationally."

I nodded.  "Maybe."

I gave her one last smile and a kiss on the cheek, before I left her at the curb and went inside to catch my flight.