Part Sixteen

"Who would be best to give the DNA sample?" Blaine asked.

"Preferably a parent, but if that can't happen, you could test," Franks said.

"My parents will be home this evening, and I believe they are expecting a visit.  Could I ask about her remains?" He asked.

He's not as pissy as he was when we walked in, actually, he looks defeated.

"That's one of the strange things about your sister's case.  She had pre-arranged her cremation and even had a will drawn up with an attorney shortly before her death.  She left everything to Miss Ashley, but her assets are frozen due to her identity being false."

He looked at me like he is angry.  "Does this mean she gets her ashes, too?"

"Yes," Franks said.

"I..I.." I tried to speak up, but I barely can speak.  "I never wanted anything from her, and I'll make sure everything is returned to your family. I haven't received the ashes yet, but when I do, I will turn them over."

He looked at the detectives, then at me then back to them.  "Could I have a moment with Miss Ashley?"

What?  Why me?

"Are you okay with that?" Franks asked.

I nodded with a lot of hesitation.  I wasn't expecting anything that's happening now. 

"We will be right outside." They said, then walked away and Blaine stood. 

When the door shut, he stood and walked closer to me.  He towered over me and looked down at me.  "What part did you have in all this?"

"What?  What do you mean?"

"My sister was a wealthy woman, and I highly doubt she just magically appeared in your life with no child and no past." He said in a suspicious tone.

I shook my head.  "I met your sister six years ago.  I'm a meteorologist and at the time worked for a local television station in Seattle, she was our receptionist.  We became friends, and when my boyfriend and I went separate ways, she invited me to live with her.  She never spoke of a child and never offered me more than friendship.  We grew very close, and I begged her to move back home with me, but she refused.  I was offered a job in Cincinnati, so I wasn't in Seattle when she passed away." I said.

"Back home?" He asked.

"Yes, Liberty, Kentucky."

He stared down at me like he is sizing me up.  I feel like I am only about two inches tall at the moment.

"I have a hard time believing you never got curious about her past?" He asked, like he thinks I am lying.

"Of course I was curious, and I told you, she refused to speak of it and played it off like it was too painful to talk about.  She knew Scipio, Liberty, and Cincinnati so well, I didn't have any reason to doubt she grew up there. I'm sorry, but that's all I know." I said.

I looked up at him, and he just stared for a few moments before he turned and walked toward his desk. 

"My sister was gone for a decade, and there's a child out there I must find.  First, we will deal with my family, and then you're going to help me find that child." He picked up his phone and dialed someone.

"Yeah, meet me at my office before the close of business hours.  I have a job for you." He hung up, then looked at me.

"I'm sorry, but I don't think I'll be much use to you. I also have a job and a life back home that I've already put on hold.  You need to keep in mind that I was deceived for six years.  I had an obligation to Lis.." I cleared my throat.  "your sister, to find her family, and I have fulfilled that obligation." I paused again, and he just stared at me like I'm an annoying child.  "I am very sorry for your loss."

He put his hands on his hips.  "What if I told you that her child is in danger and needs to be found as soon as possible?  You've been in her life for six years, she had to have left some kind of clue or maybe you just need your memory jogged." He glared at me.

"Is that a threat?" I snapped at him.

"Take it as you will, but I will destroy anybody that stands in my way.  That child must be found."

I shook my head.  "I didn't ask for any of this, I have my own.." I paused.  "I have my own family to think about." My pregnancy is none of his business.

"Husband?" He asked.

"Well, no," I answered. 

"I won't take no for an answer." He said, and sat down at his desk. 

"I'm sorry if you don't like the word no, but I'm saying it now.  No, I will not get involved." I have to think about my baby.

He sat back and glared at me.  "Do you want to know why she disappeared, Miss Ashley?"

"I'm not sure I do, not if it's something that will put myself or my family in danger." I said.

"How would you feel if something happened to her baby, something sinister?" He asked.

"It wouldn't be because of me, I don't know anything.  Besides, maybe the child is with it's father."

He stood and leaned against his desk.  "That child's father has been dead for a decade.  You might think you're safe by not getting involved, but you're wrong.  When news gets out and that child's grandfather finds out you lived with Cassidy, he will come for you.  I can provide protection if you help me.  Otherwise, those two incompetent detectives will be your only hope." He said.

"Those detectives don't live in Cincinnati." I said.

"Then, there you go, I'm your only hope.  Don't tell anyone about our talk today, you know too much as it is, and those two will get you killed.  They are powerless in New York.  You're safe for now, until word gets out at least.  I'll be at my parent's house tonight and afterward, I'll accept your decision."

I stood there in total disbelief and didn't know what to do next.  He says he will be there to accept my decision, but at the same time, he isn't giving me a choice.

"You can go now." He said as he ran his hands over his face. 

I went to leave, but he stopped me.  "Oh, by the way." He said.

I turned, and he looked up at me.  "We didn't report her missing.  The man that wants her did, and you just walked right into his path."