Part Fifty Three

"I'm okay, maybe I should call an Uber and just leave," I said.

"Mr. Lowell will not think too kindly of you leaving with a stranger." He said.

"I can't stay here, and this time with his nephew is a priority.  They both need this, and that little boy deserves so much more than he has with these people." I said as I tried to compose myself. 

"Just please wait for Mr. Lowell." He said.

"Fine, but I really need a drink of water." I'm starting to feel sick.

"You're in luck." He reached down into a small cooler and handed back a cold bottled water.

"Thank you."

He handed me a napkin he had gotten wet in the ice water.  "Try this, when my wife was pregnant, she loved an ice pack."

"Thank you," I said again, taking the napkin and putting it over my eyes, then I laid back.

I just found out my late best friend didn't just betray my trust with a false identity, but slept with the very man she tried to talk me into a relationship with while being aware of his cheating.  She knew first hand he was a liar, but so was she, and I hate them both right now.

I hate Gray, and I want him to disappear from my life.  I understand we weren't together and he could sleep with anyone, but the lies are just too much. 

"Here comes Mr. Lowell." He said, and suddenly the door opened.

"Cora, are you okay?" He asked.

I started crying again.  "Blaine, I need to leave. I'll just call an Uber."

He got in and shut the door. "If you're leaving, I'm coming with you." He said.

"No, you need this time with Will. I'll be okay." I said.

"What happened, did Savannah say something to upset you?" He pulled me into him and I cried.

"We can talk about it later," I said.

"I'm ready to go. Will has basketball and homework anyway." He said.

"Not yet, I know you're just saying that so I won't feel guilty."

"Sir, I can take her to the Penthouse and come back for you." The driver said.

"No, let me say goodbye, I'll be right back." He went to get out, but I grabbed his arm. 

"Don't do that, if she thinks she upset me, she'll think she won, when it's not even her that upset me.  Just finish your visit, and I'll meet you at the Penthouse." I said.

"He's leaving in twenty minutes, so there's no sense in staying." He went to get out of the car.

"Just take your time, I'll be fine waiting here," I said.

"Are you sure?" He asked.

"I'm sure, go spend the rest of your time with him, and I'll be fine," I said.

"I'll be back." He kissed my forehead and got out of the car.  I hope he doesn't question Savannah.  That boy doesn't need to see any conflict right now.  I waited for about fifteen minutes before he walked out and got into the car.  "I swear, I'll ruin that bitch." He snarled.

"What happened?" I asked in shock over his choice of words.

"Corey took me aside and told me what she said.  Please don't listen to her, Ciara and I are finished and have been for a very long time. I could care less what Cassidy would have wanted. She didn't want anyone dictating her life, so Savannah is just lying again." He said.

"I know all that, Blaine.  Please tell me there wasn't any friction in front of Will." I said.

"I mean there's tension, but nothing was said or done in front of him.  I'll be visiting my aunt tomorrow when Will is at school." He said, then paused for a moment.

"I have a hard time believing she didn't upset you.  What really happened?" He asked.

I started crying and curled up into his arms.  "Your sister happened."

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"They're all liars, even Cassidy." I cried.

"Cassidy isn't here to defend herself." He said.

"Gray called and he accused me of sleeping with you.  He said I was disgusting and said some pretty terrible things.  He also let it slip that he slept with Cassidy when I was out of town." I explained and his body stiffened.

"He was lying." He growled.

I shook my head.  "As soon as he said it, he regretted it.  He kept apologizing over and over again.  I thought maybe he lied out of anger, but he kept apologizing.  He wouldn't take it back." I said.

"I would believe he was lying, but her behavior was so erratic toward the end.  I'm so sorry, Cora." He kissed the top of my head.

"Blaine, I don't want him near my baby.  I don't trust him anymore, and I'm so ashamed." I continued to cry.  "Everyone was lying to me the whole time I lived here.  Cassidy, Gray, and even Lance, I don't know what to believe anymore."

He sighed.  "We've both been deceived and lied to for years.  I hated leaving Will with my aunt, she might just be the worst one of all."

"Blaine, I think you were right.  Maybe Cassidy was fighting a mental illness.  All these people played into it instead of contacting you so she could get some help.  How did I not see it?  All the lies she told me, her secret life and outrageous behavior.  I feel so guilty for not paying closer attention."

"You couldn't have done anything.  It sounds like she had Lance fooled too.  I don't want you to feel guilty, and its time I get you home to Liberty.  This stress is too much, and it's not good for you or the baby." He said.

I looked up at him and wiped my tear away.  "I can't leave now, I'm not ready to do anything without you."

He cupped my face to make me look at him.  "This baby and that little boy are our top priority right now.  It will only be a few days, I promise.  I'm done digging into her past. We are finding nothing but heartbreak, and Will was the last piece of the puzzle." He said.