Part Twenty Nine

He made his calls, then we went back to his parents in time for dinner.  My heart breaks for his mother, she hasn't left her room since last night, and his father is trying to hold everything together.  He didn't resort to drinking and no long talks tonight.  He did walk me to my room and said he would have a car and driver waiting for me in the morning.

I have noticed I get tired a little easier now, and I'm thankful for rest.  I soaked in a warm bath, then went straight to bed.  I quickly got ready in the morning, but I expected a driver, not Blaine himself. 

"I thought you were sending a driver?" I asked as he took my bag from me.

"Are you disappointed to see me?" He smiled just a little. 

"Of course not, but I am surprised," I said as he shut his trunk, then opened my door for me. 

"I woke up early and decided to bring you to the airport myself.  The jet will take you, then come back for me when I finish work today." He said as I sat down in his car and he shut the door.

When he got in, he started the car, and we were quickly on the road.

"What time should I be ready to leave?" I asked.

"Let's say eight for now, but I need to get your cell number in case I need to reach you." He said.

I stuck out my hand, and he gave me a funny look before he reached into his breast pocket for his phone and handed it to me.  I typed my number in and handed it back.  I don't think he's used to people getting into his stuff.

When we got to the airport, he drove right onto onto the tarmac.  "Wow, no security?"

He shook his head and put the car in park.  "I'll walk you up but no, you don't have to go through airport security."

When we got out, I saw his security for the first time.  We then got on the jet, where there are already two men sitting inside.  The flight attendant greeted us, and Blaine led me to a seat. 

"Please make sure she gets a good breakfast." He said the the flight attendant, then spoke to me. 

"Just remember they are here for your safety, and once you land, they will take you home.  After that, they will be like ghosts until they bring you to the airport." He said.

"Okay, thank you," I said as I got settled in. 

"It won't be a long flight, so you'll be home soon.  Be careful who you talk to, and do not let strangers into your home." He said.

"Okay, I got it."

He seemed hesitant to leave. 

"Call me if anything happens, and if anyone from Seattle contacts you, call me." He said.

I shook my head.  "I don't have your number."

He gave me his card.  "I'll see you tonight, Cora."

I gave him a smile and told him I would see him later, then watched as he walked out and got into his car.  He's handsome, his smile lights up his eyes, and I wish he would do it more often.  His hair is much lighter than his father's and his sister's hair, he's tall, I'm guessing 6'2," and it's obvious he uses his gym at home.  His eyes are a very bright blue, then when he smiles, they almost sparkle.  I wonder how he handles the attention of women, since he is so reserved and conservative. 

As my plane took off, I closed my eyes and thought about the past few days. It was strange meeting my best friend's family.  I wonder how hard she had to struggle leaving them, then giving birth and possibly being alone.  Also, she brought me into something that could possibly be dangerous.  Did she even care, was she so lonely selfishness allowed her to let me in and not care for my safety?

Now, here I am, pregnant, alone, and much more scared than I care to admit.  I know I can do this, single mom's do it all the time, but I feel guilty and ashamed.  The guilt part is for not bringing my child into a happy family, the shame part is for not being married.  Yes, that is old fashioned, but what will my viewers and coworkers think?  My mind has battled that question ever since I sat in Dr. James's office.  One moment I try to convince myself that it doesn't matter, then I wonder what Blaine and people like him will think of me.

Again, my mind shifts back to Blaine.  How can one man piss me off so bad, then turn around and intrigue me?  Seeing what all he did for his sister breaks my heart.  He really thought she would someday come home and be able to put her past behind them, but he lost her.  Not to violence or an accident, but to something that would have taken her life no matter where she was at the time.  It was her time, and nothing me or Blaine could have done would have saved her life.

I wiped a tear from my eye.  Lisa never existed, some girl named Cassidy did, and she deceived me, yet I still love her.  Now there's Lance. I was clueless, and I feel like an idiot. 

Then of course Gray entered my mind. He had been trying to call, so I have to make sure I call him after my appointment.  I can't push him away, and I have to accept that he is a permanent fixture in my life.  We are now linked because of that one night.  I'm glad we have a friendship, but how can I trust him with my baby, if I can't trust him with my heart?