Part Fifty One

As we drove, he explained more about his aunt and uncle.  Savannah is the youngest of his mother's siblings and was especially close to Cassidy.  She always acted like she was owed something, and her attitude caused a lot of friction between her and Blaine's mom.  They were never close, but when Cassidy went missing, she went to New York and played the concerned Aunt.  His mother didn't have a great relationship with her family in Scipio.  Her family always acted as she owed them something.

Blaine said when he was little, they would visit and his mom was different.  She wasn't as stuffy or disciplined, until one day, there was an argument between her and Savannah that put a wedge between his mom and everyone else.  Blaine said it had to do with money, and after that day, his mom became more distant. 

Cassidy was happier in Scipio and would spend summers with Savannah and his grandmother, while he didn't visit very often.  He thinks Savannah was jealous of his mother, and this entire thing gave her satisfaction. 

Savannah met Corey in high school, but they didn't marry until many years later. Savannah wanted children, but it never happened for her, even after he gave them money for infertility treatments.  He has been supporting them for years, and his mother supports his grandmother.  He said they take, but never do anything in return.  He only gave them money to keep them away. 

"My mother will never speak to her family again after she learns what they've done." He said.

"That's sad, Blaine. Your mom already has to deal with too much." I said.

He sighed.  "I know, but maybe our relationship will make her feel a little better." He said.

"What is she going to think of me when she finds out I'm pregnant?" I asked.

"She will not judge you for that, Cora.  Her daughter was unwed and pregnant, Mom was her biggest advocate.  My parents will be happy to see me with someone again." He said.

That reminds me, what about the other woman in his life?  I decided not to bring it up, this isn't the time, so I just gave him my best smile.

He held my hand, and we had minor conversations for the rest of the drive.  We arrived only a few minutes before the boy they called Willie.  That name does not sound like it belongs to a nine-year-old boy. 

I could tell Blaine was nervous, because he is bouncing his knee while we waited on the sofa.

"It's going to be fine, just smile when you see him, and don't make it one of those forced smiles," I whispered, and he gave me a funny look.  I almost laughed, because what I read was him asking, "who, me?"

He is holding my hand while his sweats, and it's getting pretty gross.  "Here he comes," Savannah said, and when Blaine let go of my hand, I wiped it on his leg.  That earned me another funny look, but whatever, I'm not wiping it on my own clothes. 

I could see a yellow school bus stopped on the gravel road with its lights flashing, then a little boy came running from the other side.  The poor kid has no idea who is waiting inside.  As he came closer, my heart raced, because I could see his mother's features.  Blaine looked down at me with a smile, and I gave him a nervous one back.  I know I shouldn't be nervous, but after seeing the boy, it hit me. 

He's not the tiny guy I pictured, I guess I was thinking a nine-year-old would look younger.   He walked in the door and his eyes landed on Blaine, then to me. 

"Hi?" He said as he looked around, and his rosy cheeks made him absolutely adorable.

"Willie, this is.." He cut her off.

"My Uncle Blaine and Cora Ashley.  Mom showed me pictures of both of them.  Is he here to take me to New York?  Also, quit calling me that, I'm Will." He said.

"I'm pleased to meet you." Blaine stuck out his hand and Will shook it.

"Blaine is here to meet you, but no, you aren't going to New York.  We have some things to discuss, but before that, you should take some time to meet your uncle." Savannah said.

He looked at me.  "You're my mom's friend." He said.

"Yes, your mother was very special to me, and I'm pleased to meet you," I said.

He took off his backpack and set it down.  "Mom said I'm supposed to go with you when you came." He said as he looked at Blaine.

"I hope for that someday, but I think we should get to know each other first," Blaine said.

"Fine, if it means I get out of homework, I'm game." He said, and we all laughed.

"You still have to do your homework," Savannah said. 

"You suck, Aunt Savannah." He said, and Blaine looked a little shocked he would speak to an adult that way.

"Will here likes to mess with me, don't you?" She messed up his hair.

"Yeah, I guess you're okay." He smiled up at her, and I was relieved they were just teasing.  Blaine wouldn't take too well to a boy that talks back.

He looked up at Blaine.  "What do you want to do?" He asked, and Blaine thought about it.

"Maybe you can go for a walk," I suggested, and saw the relief of Blaine's face. 

"Would that be alright?" He asked Will.

"Sure, let's go."

Blaine looked at me like I was supposed to go with them.

"Go ahead, I'll stay back and let the two of you get to know each other," I said.

"Are you sure? You're a part of this too." He said. 

"Go ahead, I'll be just fine," I said, and he walked over and gave me a kiss on the cheek before walking out with Will.  Savannah gave me that look, the one that says she has questions.