Part Twenty Eight

We went back downstairs because it was chilly on the roof.  He led me to his library, took my coat, and offered me a water before grabbing his album of pictures.

"How long have you lived here?" I asked as I went to sit on the sofa.

"I finished it during the div.." He stopped himself.

"About eighteen months." He said.

I just nodded, I get it, because I don't like to talk about Gray either.

We looked through the photo's and, again, nobody looked familiar.  Just as he went to shut it his phone rang. 

"This is Blaine." He answered.

He nodded.  "Thank you."

He didn't say anything else and hung up the phone. 

"That was about the kid Cassidy gave rides to at the shelter.  His name was Lance Gabbard."

My heart sped up and he looked at me.  "Are you okay?" He asked.

"Blaine, I know him.  He worked at the station with us in sales!"

His eyes shot open. "We have to get to Seattle, now!"

"I can't go now, I have an appointment tomorrow." My baby comes first. 

"Can it be rescheduled?" He asked. 

I shook my head.  "This takes priority over everything else."

I'm already scared shitless.  I'm alone, pregnant, and not yet ready to share.  Eli doesn't even know yet.

"Okay, can we leave tomorrow after your appointment?" He asked, and I shook my head.

"No, I'm due back at the station."

"Don't worry about work, that man could be gone by now." He said.

"Easy for you to say, I don't have a trust fund." I snapped at him.

"I'm saying your job is safe, I'll make a call." He said, and stood.

"To who, my boss?  Blaine, I can't lose this job.  I just bought a house and...well, I have responsibilities too." Like feeding my own child.

He shook his head.  "No, it's safe, and I won't call your boss, I'll call theirs, our hands are in everything, Cora."

"You can't control everything, Blaine.  I just started that job and already missed two days." I stood up.

He sighed.  "I am your bosses, bosses, boss." He said, and I tilted my head in confusion.

"You own the station?" He shook his head. 

"No, we own part of the network."

He said what?

"Seriously, come on now." I can't believe it.

He just stared at me.

"Wait!  That's the same station as Seattle. Don't you think you left out some vital information?  Someone from inside helped her and Lance together!" I threw my hands up in the air. "You expect me to share every detail of my fucking life for the past six years and you didn't think it was necessary to tell me?" I'm pissed.

He gets nervous.  "Cora, please don't be angry.  Yesterday was such a blur, and it didn't even cross my mind until this morning when Dad said something. I've been racking my brain since this morning, and I have no clue.  My father doesn't know, because he has been a disaster for the past decade." He defended.

"Who the hell are you people?" I'm so damn angry.

"Cora, please sit."

I crossed my arms.  "Tell me," I demanded.

"We are just people, no different than anyone else.  We just happen to own more than your everyday family."

I just stared at him, and he smirked before turning his head. 

"What?" I snapped.

"That look you give when you're angry.  It's not intimidating, it's more like.." He struggled to find the right word.  "Precious?"

"Oh, you just enjoy pissing me off because it's fun?" I snapped at him.

I looked into those deep blue eyes, dammit.  How can I get mad at a man that looks like him? 

He shook his head.  "I don't do it on purpose, I'm sorry. I don't know how to..I don't know how to do this, Cora.  I don't know how to lose, and I lost Cassidy.  I promised my mother she was safe and someday I would bring her home.  I failed them." He said.

I shook my head. "You didn't fail anyone, Blaine.  Cassidy was happy and content with her life, she didn't want to be found.  I'm sure you could have handled the situation, but you knew your sister.  You knew she couldn't have been held at a safe house, she needed freedom.  You did your best, and you did right by her.  Now we need to focus on Lance and whoever helped her from the inside." I said. 

"Does this mean you'll go to Seattle with me this week?" He asked.

Now he isn't demanding, but vulnerable, maybe? I don't know what's happening.

"I'm supposed to move into my new home. I have a lot happening, and I am worried about work.  It isn't just my bosses, but the viewers, Blaine.  Can't I just call Lance?  I do have his number." I said, but he shook his head.

"No, what if he gets spooked and takes off?  Hell, as far as we know, he might have already taken off." He said, and I groaned.

"Fine, but we leave Monday and come back Tuesday," I said, and he gave me a tiny smile.

"Thank you, I will take what I can get, also your job is safe.  I'll make a few calls." He said.

I can't believe I'm risking my career for this. Lisa deceived me, and now my life is so different.  He's right, I need this over so my baby and I can be safe.

"What now?" I asked.

"I need to call my investigators to start looking into who could have helped her get to Seattle.  Someone put her at the station to work." He said.