Part Ninety One

Blaine

I have never been so pissed at Isabella in my life.  I looked at Cora and she looks devastated.

"Cora, I am so sorry she said those things," I said.

She shook her head.  "No, I'm fine, but I can't believe what she just said about Ciara."

I walked over to her.  "Let's go somewhere quiet and talk."

She shook her head.  "Don't worry about me, it's your little sister you need to worry about, go take care of her, Blaine.  She's obviously hurt and has been holding that in far too long."

I pulled her into me.  "This is our party and tomorrow is our wedding.  I want to think about you and only you right now." I said.

She pecked my lips.  "I am exhausted and we both have a big day tomorrow.  I'll get Jess and head back to Mom and Dad's while you take care of your sister."

"It never ends with my family." I groaned.

"It will, you are all just starting to heal after a decade of torment.  I never expected it to be easy and you shouldn't either.  Take care of your baby sister and I'll see you tomorrow at the alter." She looks so damn beautiful as she looks up at me. 

"I've never been so excited for anything in my life.  I can't wait until you're my wife." I said.

"I'm excited too, but I am also tired.  I can't wait to marry you, and the sooner I fall asleep, the sooner tomorrow arrives." She said.

I gave her a kiss, but I guess the alcohol on my breath made her feel a little sick.  I guess I'm glad to learn that now so I won't drink tomorrow.  I plan to give her a night she will never forget once we're at the hotel.  Eli and I walked the girls out and Cora was driving because Jessica was drinking.  She let me give her a peck goodbye, then I looked at Eli. 

"Your sister is welcome to stay, there's a small room in the back." He said.

I drew in a long breath.  "I swear I wish more women were like your sister," I said.

"Yeah, my sister is a gem." He said.

He's lucky that's for sure, mine cause far too many problems for me.  At least my wife is about as close to perfect a human can be, that's a blessing.

I walked back into the house and saw Sully.  "Where is she?"

"In the back bedroom.  She's pretty upset." He said.

"I know, I'll take care of it," I said.

"Hey, you're not going to let what she said about Ciara upset you, right?  Cora is one hell of a woman, and Ciara's mistakes led you to that alter tomorrow." He said.

"No, its the way she spoke about Cora.  We need to get that cleared up.  Did anyone overhear?" I asked.

He shook his head.  "I don't think so, your secret is safe for now."

"Good, we need to keep it that way." I turned to walk away.  I have to remember to thank Mom for not giving me any more sisters than the two I already had.  Poor Will, if we ever have daughters, I hope he's ready. 

I knocked on the door and saw she was still crying.  "I'll give you two some space." Sully's wife left and I looked at my little sister. 

"Are you calm and sober enough to have a talk?" I asked.

She nodded.  "I'm so sorry, Blaine." She started to cry even harder, so I walked in and sat next to her on the bed.

"One thing needs to be said before anything else.  You're right, I'm not that baby's biological father.  That man recently passed away.  Before you say anything, you need to know one thing.  Cassidy worked with the father of that child to trap Cora into this pregnancy.  She was with that man on and off for years and finally got away before she found out she was pregnant.  He was mentally ill and suddenly took his life and almost took Cora's in the process.  I fell for her the moment I saw her. I love her, and, believe me, she loves me better than anyone ever has in my whole life.  This is not a marriage of convenience, its the real thing.  In the process,  we won't advertise that child's lineage, but we won't deny the truth either." I said.

She started crying harder.  "I'm so sorry, I knew it was wrong the moment it came from my mouth." She cried.

"It's not me that needs an apology.  Cora will be a part of this family and she deserves not just an apology, but to be treated better.  If you give her a chance, you'll understand why we all love her so much." I said.

"I'm sorry about Ciara, I didn't have the nerve to tell you.  At that time, you were dealing with Dad's retirement and a divorce." She said.

"Well, to be honest, I couldn't care less what else Ciara has or has not done," I said.

"She cheated on you." She said.

I shook my head.  "It doesn't matter anymore.  All that matters is this family. You've dealt with Cassidy's death alone on top of your own heartbreak." I said.

"What did I do wrong?  I was the girl Mother and Father wanted.  I kept good grades, went to an Ivy League School, accepted an engagement from a man of good stock.  I did everything right, but he still cheated and I failed.  I always did the opposite of Cassidy, and I still ended up here." She cried, and I put my arm around her.

"We are more alike than you might want to admit.  I grew up facing a huge responsibility, you grew up in Cassidy's shadow, and the last ten years of our lives were led always looking behind our backs for danger.  We are free now, Izzy. It's time to live the life you want, not the life you think others want you to live." I said.

"You've escaped it, haven't you?" She asked.

"Not just me, Mom and Dad, too.  I let go of Cassidy, and that made a world of difference.  We have Will and a new baby coming.  I'm marrying the girl of my dreams, and Ciara is gone from the company.  Security isn't always on our tails, and we are truly free now." I said.