Part Twenty Four

We went to his office, which was eerily quiet since it's Sunday. 

"These are her yearbooks, skim through and tell me if any names seem familiar.  I have some calls to make, so I'll be at my desk." He said as he sat down four books in front of me.

"Won't these names all be the same?  One yearbook wouldn't work?" I asked.

He shrugged.  "Kids move to town and some move away." He walked away. 

I find him stubborn, egotistical, spoiled, but attractive and intriguing. I don't know how many times I've told him Lisa never talked about her past.  I would say he's wasting my time, but I have a little secret.  Blaine is like a puzzle I want to put together and understand.  He is usually stuffy, but last night, I could see he has a softer side.  

I skimmed the first page of the yearbook and took a quick glimpse at Blaine.  He's in the next room looking out the window with one hand in his pocket and another holding his phone to his ear.  He turned, so I quickly looked down at the yearbook so he wouldn't see me staring. 

That's the sad thing about my current state.  A man like him, that's conservative, wouldn't ever be interested in a woman like me.  I'm sure if he ever found out I'm carrying the child of a man I don't love, he will think less of me.  Just the fact alone that I'm pregnant and unmarried would be a good reason for him to think less of me.  I just need to accept my fate as a single mom with baggage.  It's okay, it's not how I planned my life, but this is my baby, and I'm growing attached. 

My child is not a mistake. Gray may not be the man I pictured having a child with, but I made that decision back in Seattle when I willingly slept with him without protection. 

"Anything yet?" I jumped when I realized he was behind me, and I didn't even get a chance to answer.  "You're still on the first page." He said.

Yeah, because I haven't even looked at them yet.

"Sorry."

He sat down next to me and scooted them closer so we can both see.

I tried to pay attention, but he's far too close to concentrate.  "Let's just look at the senior pictures first." He said, and started flipping the pages. 

He would flip, I would scan, then shake my head no before he moved to the next one.  We landed on the page that had her senior picture, and I reached over for his hand to stop flipping pages so I could look at her photo.  As soon as my hand touched his, he looked over at me, and I looked at him to studied those eyes again.  He cleared his throat, and I quickly moved my hand.

"My little sister was cute, but always a pain." He gave the picture a tiny smile.  I could see the kindness in his eyes and could tell they must have been close, no matter how much of a pain in the ass he said she was in those days.  A look of sadness came over him, and he quickly turned the page. 

I just can't figure him out. One minute he has soft and kind eyes, then the next he's cold and distant.  We continued to look at the yearbooks one page at a time until, finally, he flipped the last page.  "You're sure no faces or names sound familiar?"

My stomach growled, and he looked over at me like it was rude or something.  "Oh come on, like I have any control over that."

He shook his head.  "Let's get some lunch."

It's a relief to me that I've actually got an appetite.  By that I mean, I have a serious craving for chicken nuggets, which is strange, I don't usually eat kids food.  He stood up and pushed his chair in as I did the same.

"Umm..I have a craving for chicken nuggets and French fries."

He paused and gave me a strange look.  "Chicken nuggets?"

I believe I am experiencing my first pregnancy craving.

I shrugged.  "Don't ask me, I just have a craving."

"You're a strange woman, Cora."

I laughed.  "Me?  No, you're strange with all this Miss Ashley and manners when we're not at some business deal." I put on my coat and tied it as he just stared at me.

"What?" I asked.

He shook his head.  "Nothing, would chicken tenders be adequate?  There's a tavern not far from here, and I'm sure they serve that sort of dish." He said as we stepped on the elevator.

"That sort of dish?  It's just food, Blaine."

I pulled my shoulder strap over my arm, and he led me out to the elevator.  It was awkward for a moment until he spoke up.

"Having manners isn't strange." He said out if the blue.

"It is when it's just me. You know, it's okay to relax.  There's no way you act like this all the time." I said.

"What if I do act like this all the time?" He asked, and I rolled my eyes.

"Then you're stuffy and boring."

The elevator dinged, and we walked out to an empty reception area. 

"I'm not stuffy or boring. Hell, you won't even drink a glass of wine, so maybe I was thinking the same thing about you." He said.

"At least I can have a casual adult conversation.  You just blush and avoid it." I said.

"Why is talking about sex so important to you?" He asked.

I smirked.  "Because, you're wanting to know everyone she spent time with while in Seattle, and you need to loosen up.  Your sister wasn't innocent, and the only people she spent time with, other than me, are people she fucked, so you better get over it."

He stopped walking and paused.  His eyes closed and he groaned.  "You did not just say that."

"What, you have something against fucking?" Now I'm teasing.

He looked at me and opened his big mouth.  "Only women of loose morals speak in that manner."

Oh, no, he didn't!

I glared at him as he glared back, like he's daring me.