Part Seventy

Blaine's POV

The social worker took me aside and explained Cora could have nightmares, bouts of depression, mood swings, and maybe even distance herself from me and the baby.  She suggested counseling and gave me a few cards of the counselors she recommends. 

Eli seems like a good enough guy, he was there for his sister when she needed him most, but I can tell he is also shaken by the experience.  After this, I believe Cora and I need some time away.  To leave all this sorrow behind for a few days and just heal. It may be a while before either one of us can get away, but its something to keep in mind. 

Eli did some paperwork and I asked to see the charges for her care.  I paid it, and Eli turned the paperwork in.  Mrs. Ashley is with her now, but she's released and can go home.  I helped her into a wheelchair and put her in the back of her mother's car.  My driver brought my bags and I excused him. 

When Cora was sleeping, Mr. Bertinelli called me.  He wasn't aware of Cassidy's death and cursed her for not calling for help. He said he does not anticipate any other dangers and thanked me for taking care of his grandson.  I hate the man, he was the reason for everything we experienced over the last decade. 

I fired every one of the security members and charged my investigators with the task of replacing them.  They sent a few men they knew off hand so they can watch over my family and the Ashley home.

I climbed in back with Cora and her mother drove us home. Eli followed in his truck and said he'll also stay at his parents tonight.  Cora's father was out of town for work, but is on his way home early.  Having her father home and Eli around will be good for Cora. The social worker said her support system is very important right now. 

When we arrived at her parent's home, I carried Cora up to her bedroom, took her straight to the bathroom, and started the shower.

I took her scrubs off, then stripped off my own clothes and helped her into the shower.  She just stood there while I washed her hair and scrubbed the rest of the blood from her body.  He must have bled out directly on her, because she is absolutely covered in it. 

"You shouldn't have to take care of me like this, Blaine." She said.

I looked at her straight in the eyes.  "It's my job to take care of you. I love you, and I will always be here when you need me."

"I love you, too." She started crying again, so I held her in my arms until the water turned cold.  I reached for a towel and dried her off.  She was grateful to brush her teeth, while I dried off and wrapped a towel around my waist.  Her mother had brought her some pajamas, so I helped her into them, then tucked her into her bed.  My bags were right outside the door, so I also got dressed, then her mom came with more crackers and some cold Sprite.  She asked if I was hungry, but, just like Cora, I have no appetite. 

We crawled into bed, and I held her until her breaths evened out and I knew she was sleeping.  I needed to call my father, so I went downstairs and out to the back patio to gave him a call. He was upset, just as expected, and said he will have a talk with Mom tomorrow.  They want me to come with them to confront my grandmother, but Cora needs me right now.

I then called my PA and asked her to find someone around here to go in and clean Cora's home.  From what Eli said the carpet will need torn out and replaced, along with some of her new furniture. 

When I hung up the phone, I took a few calming breaths, then heard the door open.

"Beer?" Eli handed me one.

"Sure, thanks." I popped the top and took a swig.

"She likes beer with her pizza, but don't ever try to give her the light shit. Hide your credit cards, because she will stop until she's broke, then beat herself up about it.  She hates the Steelers, but loves the Bengals, take her to a game sometime, she would love it. Don't ever bring up politics or you may find yourself buried six feet under, and she is attached to her dog, Izzy.  The dog is a pain in the ass, but just deal with it." He said.

"Good to know, thanks."

There was an awkward silence. 

"She came back from Seattle different this time.  She was happy, where before she was just okay. She wasn't happy with her life in Seattle, but she was attached to your sister.  She only stayed because she felt your sister needed her. Cora forms attachments, and when she loves someone, she loves hard." He took a swig of his beer.

I looked down at the yard and saw the remnants of an old playset.  I imagined her as a child, carefree and playing with her neighborhood friends. 

"She loves you, and not the way she ever loved Gray." He said.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

He looked at me.  "She's in love with you. She was never in love with Gray. She loved him, but it wasn't the forever kind of love." He took a deep breath and turned toward me.  "You're going to marry my sister and claim this baby as your own, aren't you?"

I looked over at him. "I would marry her if she were pregnant or not, she's an amazing woman.  Do I have your blessing to ask her to marry me?"

He nodded.  "Yes, and take her to New York, sell that damn house, and raise that baby as your own.  Nobody needs to know it's not yours." He said.

"The baby will need to know someday," I said.

He shrugged.  "Sure, but protect her from judgment for now.  I won't tell a living soul and neither will my parents." He said.

"What about Gray's family?  They deserve to know their grandchild." I said.

"They will understand." He said.

I shook my head.  "I'm willing to do all those things, but the decision isn't mine to make, it's Cora's, and whatever she chooses will be respected."

"Good, that's all I can ask." He said.

"I already bought the ring. I was going to talk to you and your father before I gave it to her, but right now I think we should put a hold on those plans.  She's fragile right now and needs time." I said.

"Don't worry about my father, he's old fashioned and will be happy to see her married before the baby comes." He paused again.  "She didn't want this baby, they tricked her." He said.

I shook my head.  "None of that matters now.  She loves that baby no matter how it came about, and I will love it too and try to be a good father." I said.

"She wants more, she will give you your own." He said.

I nodded.  "I know, but it is what it is, there's no guarantee in life.  If this is our only one, I'll be fine."

I don't want any more trauma in her life.  Another pregnancy too soon could do that, and it's not what I want for Cora.