Part Seventy Nine

Blaine

"I'm not sure why you think my future is a laughing matter. I met the woman of my dreams, and I'm finally happy for the first time in my life.  We're having a baby, and she's not just gorgeous, but the most intelligent and kind woman I have ever known." I said, and she looked at me and stopped laughing.

"You're serious aren't you?" She asked.

"Dead serious," I said.

She lost her smile and looked at me.  "No, this isn't supposed to happen." She said.

"What, me finding happiness or you losing everything?" I asked.

"I'm your wife, Blaine.  You chose me first, I gave you the divorce knowing you would be back.  You can't take everything from me." She started to cry again.

"You took everything from my mother, for that, I can never forgive you.  Your job is in the board's hands, and I'm sure they don't want someone they can't trust heading up the media.  You should look for a new job." I said.

"I was close to Cassidy, I was just respecting her wishes.  I felt so guilty that I couldn't bring myself to follow our dreams.  She was supposed to come to her senses and we would get back together." She cried.

"Stop it, you're a fool if you think I was going to wait around for you to finally be ready for children.  I realize now it was a blessing we didn't have any. I love Cora, and it's nothing like it was with you.  I'm alive again, Ciara.  Hell, I've never felt this great.  The woman I love is pregnant, we are planning a wedding, and adopting my nephew together.  I am happy, and there's nothing you can say to change that. Right now, you need to worry about the board." I said as I stood and buttoned my suit jacket.

"This conversation isn't over." She said as she looked up at me.

"It is over, and I have a beautiful woman and a very brave little boy at home waiting for me." I walked toward the door.

I felt something breeze by my ear and heard a crash in front of me.  I quickly turned and grabbed Ciara's arm, just before she went to hit me.

"My life isn't a fucking game, Ciara!" I snarled at her.

"What the hell, you don't curse!  She's changed you!" She yelled as I held her arm.

"No, she brought me to life.  My life is mine again, and I will no longer live my life to please others, especially you.  If I were you, I would resign before you have to face the board, I'm voting you out!" I said, and she pulled her arm from my grip.

"If you want a war, Blaine, you've got one." She pushed past me and slammed my office door shut.

I took a deep breath to calm myself, but I thought of what's waiting for me at home and a smile appeared on my face.  I heard a knock and the door opened.

"What the hell did you do to piss off the queen?" I turned and saw my friend Sully.

I shook my head.  "Do you have some time?" I asked.

"Let's get a beer." He said, and I nodded.  I shot Cora a text, and Sully and I walked to the same place Cora called a Gentleman's club a few weeks ago.  We took a seat and ordered a beer. 

"So what's up?" He asked.

Sully and I have been friends since primary school.  We even went to college together and his parents were close friends with mine.  My parents knew them before they moved home from France, where their family business was based at the time.  He's married to a great girl we were both friends with since we were kids, and she is expecting their third child.

"We found Cassidy, but she's passed.  It was a brain aneurysm, and I found out Ciara had known her location all along." I said.

"What, are you shitting me?" He looked shocked.

"No, and I found her son.  He's here and I'm going to adopt him." I must have smiled.

"Why are you smiling?" He asked.

"Sully, I found her. The one girl that gives my life meaning," I said, and his eyes grew.

"Who is she?" He smiled.

"Her name is Cora and she was Cassidy's roommate.  She had no idea Cassidy was living under an alias until she died, then she came and found me.  She's a meteorologist, but quit her job to move here and marry me." I said, and he coughed on his drink.

"She what?" He was almost laughing through his coughs.

"We are getting married and she's pregnant," I said, and he was still in disbelief.

"She's pregnant?  It can't be yours if you already know." He said.

I took a drink of my beer, then nodded.  "As far as anyone else knows, I am the father.  The baby's biological father just recently passed away, and Cora and I decided on this before he died suddenly.  So, I might as well claim the baby." I said.

"You always wanted kids." He said.

"Yeah, and I will raise this one as my own.  She's an amazing girl, and I can't wait to make it official." I said

We talked a little longer, and he agreed to be my best man, saying he trusts my judgement. Of course, he wants to meet Cora and reminded me of the Catholic Charities Ball next weekend.  I will have to talk to Cora and see what she wants to do, but I think this will be a great way to introduce her to my life.  I can see her groaning and complaining about the rich snobby people now, and it just makes me laugh to myself.  She will be fine, especially since my own mother had nearly the same background.  By next weekend, the news about Cassidy's death will be known, and everyone will see that Cora is a blessing to our lives.  They're not all as bad as she thinks.