Part Forty Seven

"I just don't want to see you get your hopes up, only to be let down," I said.

"I understand we need to take this one step at a time, and there's no guarantee he will be in our lives.  I just have to do what's right, and this is it." He said.

"What if this couple is attached to him?  They must be good people or she wouldn't have chosen them.  What I don't understand is why she did this instead of raising him herself.  She was free of danger, so why take it this far?" I asked.

He shrugged.  "She didn't say, she only said she wanted him to be safe.  The diary ended, so I only know as much as you."

We were driving for almost an hour, when his driver pulled down a gravel road.  "What if we leave here and they take off with him?" I asked.

"I called my security last night and put a tail on them.  He got on a school bus this morning, so I have a car at the school and another one sitting at the driveway.  They've not left, and if they try anytime soon, I'll know their every move." He said.

My phone buzzed and I saw it was Gray, so I hit ignore.

"You do that an awful lot." He noticed.

"It's Gray, he constantly calls, so I hit ignore.  He wants to know my every move, and he's hovering since I told him about the baby." I said.

He squeezed my hand.  "He just wants to make sure you're taking care of yourself.  Next time you should answer and not make him worry.  Maybe then he'll ease up." He said.

"I know, but the baby isn't even here yet, and he's driving me insane. Sometimes I try to forget he's the father. I know that's wrong, but I can't help it.  I just get tired of his lies, and I don't feel like dealing with it " I said.

"What kind of lies?" He furrowed his eyes.

I shrugged.  "He thinks I care what he does in his private life.  He lies by saying he wants me back and never sees other women.  Problem is, I don't care what he does in his private life.  I may care more when he has the baby with him, but for now, it doesn't matter."

"You still get hurt over his lies?  Do you still love him?" He said with a worried look on his face.

"No, it doesn't hurt me, I just hate the lies.  It's like he thinks I'm stupid or something and that makes me wonder what else he lies about. Right now, I need to trust him and he's making that hard.  Eventually, a tiny human being will depend on him, and I'll have to trust this baby is in good hands.  How can I do that when he lies to me about stuff that doesn't matter?"

He lifted my hand and kissed it.  "I can see how that would be unsettling."

"It's not like I can limit his involvement. legally, this baby is his as much as it is mine.  I won't have a choice but to have him in our lives.  I don't regret this baby, don't get me wrong,  I just wish I would have made better decisions and he wasn't the father.  I hope that can change sometime soon and he gets rid of any ideas of us being together again." I said.

He looked over at me.  "All that will stop when you say yes." He said with a smirk.

"Yes to what?" I smiled at him.

"Marrying me." He whispered as he leaned over and kissed me.  He might be conservative, but damn, not in bed, there he's anything but conservative.  I shivered at his kiss, and now I feel desperate for his touch. 

We turned on another gravel road, and he pulled away with a smile on his face.  I swear if he was driving, I would make him pull over, and I would attack him right here.

"You're face is red." He teased in a whisper.  "I did that to prove this is real, and someday you'll marry me."

I ignored him and looked out the window. 

"What's wrong, Cora?" He chuckled.

I know what he's doing.  He wants to marry me to save my reputation because he cares, but its ridiculous.  I would never marry unless there was love.

The car stopped in front of a very nice two-story home.  He looked at me and had a serious look on his face. 

"Shit just got real." He said, and I laughed.

"You have a potty mouth, what have I done?"

He chuckled, and didn't answer before the driver opened the door.

"Are you ready?" He asked.

"Yeah, he isn't here, so it'll just be learning more about your sister," I said as he held his hand out, then helped me out if the car.

"What are you going to say?" I asked as we walked.

"I'm just going to be direct and tell them why we're here." He said.

"You should be careful how you approach this, they've had him his entire life," I said.

"Then they will be appreciative of my honesty and intentions." He said.

"What are your intentions?" I asked knowing he just wants the boy.

"I want to know more about Cassidy and why she left him here, then I want to see where we stand.  If they're happy and he wants to stay with them, then I'll respect that, if not, then I need to take the time to know him and eventually take him home." He said as we took the first step to the front door.

We stopped in front of the door, but didn't find a doorbell, so he knocked.  He reached over for my hand, and I squeezed it to remind him I'm here for him.  He knocked again, then we heard footsteps.

The door opened and, suddenly, he became stiff.  "What the hell?" He said, and the woman in front of him looked surprised.

"Blaine?" She asked as they both stood there in shock.