Part Seventy One

I laid down next to Cora and watched her sleep.  A tear ran down her cheek as she slept, which angered me.  Gray was a psychopath, and he tried to break this girl.  She's beautiful inside and out, not to mention she's more than willing to give his child life, but that wasn't enough for him.  He raped my sister and blackmailed her, which made her live in fear until the day she died. 

The baby this beautiful creature carries is innocent and deserves a family.  I want to marry her before too many people ask questions.  She is in the spotlight, and our network has been carrying the story of what happened today.  The last thing she needs is everyone finding out she's pregnant with his baby.  I may not be able to shield her forever, but for now, we can make this work. I would marry her anyway, maybe not so quickly, but that would only be because of the tabloids.  Now, I want them to think we sped up the wedding so she could have our baby.  By the time the baby comes, Gray won't even be a second thought.

I saw her eyes barely open, so I reached over and ran my fingers through her soft hair. She started to cry again, then curled up into my arms.  Nothing I can say will take her pain away, all I can do is hold her and allow her to grieve. 

I understand how hurt she is. She made it clear she wasn't in love with Gray, but he was a very big part of her life.  Not to mention she's pregnant with his baby, and that has to be hard.  I kissed the top of her head and gave her a tighter squeeze.

"I'm sorry, Blaine."

"What could you possibly have to apologize for, Cora?"

"That you have to see me this way.  I wouldn't blame you if you left." She said.

"Nothing in this world could pull me away from you right now." I kissed her head again.

"I love you, maybe even more now.  You've made me feel loved, despite what happened today." She said.

"I don't take those words lightly, Cora.  When I said them to you, I meant them.  I know you loved him at one time, and he was a big part of your life, your grief is understandable.  He was sick and needed help, that didn't make him a bad person. We will honor him by loving his child and giving it a good life." I said.

"Will you still marry me soon?" She asked.

"Of course, but I don't want you to do anything before you're ready.  I'll be here when you feel it's time." I said.

"Thank you." She said, so I gave her a tiny squeeze, laying there just like that until we both fell asleep.

It was a rough night. She woke up in cold sweats twice, and even screamed once because she was having a nightmare.  This prompted her mom and brother to come rushing inside the bedroom.  Eli looks absolutely exhausted, so the bad memory must be haunting him too.  He might think he is fooling us, but he's not.  It's apparent how close she is to her brother.

By mid-morning, I was finally able to get her to eat some toast and oatmeal.  She knows she can't let this depression take over, because there's a life at risk if she doesn't take care of herself.  Shortly after she ate, her skin perked up and started gaining some color back. 

I called my parents and they said Will is doing fine, but wanted to see if they could drop him off before my mom meets with her family.  It's certainly no place for a child since my aunt and sister are both dead, and some family will just be learning about Cassidy today.  Cora said that was fine, and her mother said it might be good for Cora.  Maybe he will give her a little motivation today, but I'm not so sure. 

"It's fine, Blaine.  He's one of us now, and he's part of our little family. I'm fine seeing him today." She said as she finally got up out of bed.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Getting a shower. I can't have him wondering what's wrong with me.  He's been through enough, and he needs to feel safe.  If we are going to be a family, then he needs to see I'm strong." She said.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yes, you can either hang out in here or downstairs.  I'm sure my father will be home soon." She said.

I smiled.  "I'll hang out downstairs.  I don't think giving you a shower will make a great first impression on your dad."

She rolled her eyes.  "As long as we aren't standing in front of the television during a football game, we're good."

She has explained her father to me before, and he sounds like a no-nonsense kind of guy.  She said he keeps to himself pretty much most of the time. 

"I'll be downstairs if you need me," I said.

"I won't be long." She gave me a forced smile and went into the bathroom.  I reached into my bag and looked at the ring I bought.  Talk about life-changing quickly. As far as my staff will know, I went on vacation and came back as a husband and soon to be a father.  I smiled and shook my head at the thought.  Even my closest friends will be shocked. Jumping into things isn't my nature, but for Cora, I would do anything.

I used the time I had to call my attorney about Will.  I need him to set up whatever is necessary to start the adoption process, and I also need to talk about that with Cora soon.  I need to know if she also wants to be an adoptive parent to him with me. 

I'm sure she will, she's an angel.