Part Ninety Three

Blaine

Sully stood next to me as I looked over our guests.  Philip and Mia made it from Seattle, Kelly and her parents, along with family I haven't seen for ages on my father's side.  My grandmother, uncles, and even cousins sat quietly as I waited to see my bride.  Will is once again in his tux and squirming to get comfortable. 

I've been here before, but today is different. With Ciara, I had more than plenty of reservations, but with Cora, there are none. 

"Are you doing alright?" Sully asked.

"I'm great, anxious to see her, but great," I said. 

"Have you seen the priest yet?  I sure hope Cora can keep her hands to herself." He chuckled.  The asshole thinks he's funny.

I might have heard Eli gag a little next to Sully.  "God, I get tired of hearing about that shit," Eli said in a whisper. 

The music started and, suddenly, I felt those nerves.  My palms started sweating, and I gulped when I saw my father walk my mother down the aisle.  She looks amazing, but it just feels so real all of a sudden.  They were followed by her friends, then finally Jessica, which means my gorgeous bride is right behind her.  The priest had shown up at some point, but my attention is completely on watching that aisle. The music changed and everyone stood.  My God, I'm nervous now.  Not about marrying Cora, but breaking down in front of all these people.  Half of New York is here and probably this entire town. 

I heard gasps and saw her father's head.  "Take some deep breaths buddy," Sully said.

The moment I say I do, I won't only be a husband and father of one, but two children.  This is my biggest responsibility yet, and I welcome it wholeheartedly. 

My pulse raced and my chest felt tight, but suddenly she came into view and all was calm.  There she is and, my God, I am the luckiest man on earth.  That smile on her face is enough, but seeing her in that dress makes me feel like the luckiest man on earth.  Her dress is strapless with a crystal form-fitting top, a rose-colored belt at her waist just proves that the baby isn't showing as much as she believes.  It's a ball gown and she makes it look beautiful. 

"Dude, she's absolutely perfect," Sully said, and I felt that tingle behind my eyes.  I took a deep breath and blow it out slowly, but when her eyes locked on mine, I lost it.  Sully handed me a handkerchief and I wiped my eyes to see her a little better.  She mouthed the words, "I love you" and my heart swelled ten times larger.  I placed my hand over it just to make sure it's still beating. 

They finally approached, so the priest told everyone to sit and the music stopped. 

"Who gives this woman to this man?" The priest asked.

"Her mother and I do." Her father said, then placed his daughter's hand in mine.  He gave me a quick pat on the shoulder, then kissed my bride on the cheek.

"I love you, daddy." She said. 

He looked at me.  "Take care of my girl."

I gave him a nod, and he wiped a tear away before sitting next to Wilma.  I then looked at Cora and she reached up and wiped a tear off my cheek. 

"I love you," I whispered, and I saw the first tear fall down her face and I wiped it away. 

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is why we are gathered here today.  Blaine and Cora have already displayed their love for one another right before us.  There is no doubt the love these two share.  Like the love between a father and daughter as you all just witnessed, Cora will always hold Blaine's heart.  They will turn to prayer, look to God for guidance, but he has already gifted them the foundation needed for a successful marriage.  God is love, and he has shown himself here today.

Blaine and Cora, have you come here to enter into Marriage without coercion, freely and wholeheartedly?" He asked.

"I have." We answered in unison.    

"Are you prepared, as you follow the path of Marriage, to love and honor each other for as long as you both shall live?"  He asked.

"I am." We answered in unison.

"Are you prepared to accept children lovingly from God, and to bring them up according to the law of Christ and his Church?"

"I am." We once again answered together.

"Since it is your intention to enter into the covenant of Holy Matrimony, join your right hands, and declare your consent before God and his Church." He said.

We are already holding hands.

"Blaine, repeat after me. I, Blaine, take you, Cora, to be my wife. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life."

I repeated after him.

"Cora, repeat after me. I, Cora, take you, Blaine, to be my husband. I promise to be faithful to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, to love you and to honor you all the days of my life."

She repeated after him.

The music started, and we knelt in front of a statue of the Mother Mary.  Then we took a seat and listened while a few of her aunts read from the Bible.  She was holding my hand tightly, and I gave it a squeeze to reassure her. 

The music started again, and we knelt in front of him while he gave us a blessing.  The photographer is snapping photos, and this feels like the longest ceremony ever.  Finally, it was time to exchange rings.

"Repeat after me as you place the ring on her finger. Cora, receive this ring as a sign of my love and fidelity. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." I repeated after him and slid the ring on her finger. 

He looked at Cora.  "Please repeat after me. Blaine, receive this ring as a sign of my love and fidelity. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

She repeated after him as she slid the ring on my finger. 

My first marriage wasn't catholic, so I guess I didn't realize how long the ceremony would take. 

He said another prayer where the guests responded and he sang.  Then finally, he looked at us.  "We are now at the point Blaine here has so patiently waited for all along.  Blaine, you may kiss your bride."

We discussed a simple kiss, but we only live once, right?

I kissed her, and even dipped her backward while all of our guests clapped.  I surprised everyone when I picked her up and carried her to the back of the church.  I set her down and kissed her again before everyone else emptied out of the church.