Part Six

I sent Lisa a text last night letting her know I made it safely home.  She sent me a hilarious gif in response and told me to video chat with her tonight.  It's Sunday now, and Eli is taking me out today.  He said most the car lots will be closed, but at least we could look around and get an idea of what I am looking for in a car. 

We hit several lots, including Toyota, Chevy, Ford, Jeep, and Dodge.  I really liked the Toyota, so we will come back tomorrow after Eli gets off work. 

My brother is a project manager for a commercial construction company.  Work keeps him busy, but he is more than happy to make time for his bratty little sister.  We got in his truck and headed to Frisch's for the lunch he promised me.

"So,  Father Ashberry, huh?" He smirked.

"He wasn't a priest then, Eli.  It was high school."

"Still though, I thought Priests were virgins." He laughed a little.

"Well, that one's not." I snorted, and he stopped laughing just to act like he is gagging. 

"Don't ask if you don't want to the answer." I said.

"I didn't think you'd say that, who the hell else do I have to avoid in this town?" He asked.

"Just him and Donnie Gallo," I answered.       

"Donnie Gallo?  What the hell, Cora?  He is one of my closest friends."

I scoffed.  "You have no room to talk, you've been sleeping with my friend for years."

"That's different, I'm a guy, besides you gave your blessing before I ever asked Natalie out."

He parked the car, and I dropped the subject so I can dash inside and order a Big Boy. 

"Damn, you're a pig." He said when he caught up to me.

"I missed this place, so get over it."

"You do this every damn time you come home." He said as the hostess showed us to our table. 

"Remind me to get some tartar sauce for Lisa. I'm putting together a care package with all the goodies from home." I said.

"Why doesn't she ever visit home?" He asked.

I shrugged.  "She said her childhood sucked and home just brings back bad memories."

"So her family visits her in Seattle?"

"No, she doesn't stay in touch, and she always avoided answering my questions.  It must have been very bad, because she never even told me her parent's names.  Lisa is one of my favorite people in this world, but she also has a very suspicious past.  She lives like she is rich, but she's a receptionist and rarely lets anyone close enough to build a real relationship.  Not to mention the mystery of her past.  She's only really ever told me she's from Scipio and leaves it at that when she does talk about it."

"Some people just don't think the past is that important." He said. 

My food finally arrived, and I gave Eli a warning not to interrupt my moment with this delicious Big Boy.  He just shook his head at me and ate his food. 

We made it home early enough for me to unpack and help Mom in her flower garden.  It's the small things like this I missed over the years.  We then had dinner, and I finally got to video chat with Lisa. 

"Tell me what you've been up to over the weekend." She sat back to listen.

"It hasn't been much really.  My family surprised me with a welcome home party, which was great, then I hung out with Eli this morning before we had lunch at Frisch's."

"I swear, your brother is fucking hot, maybe I should have come home." She smirked.

"First of all, that's sick, and secondly, he will end up marrying Natalie, but don't let that stop you from coming home." I said. 

"I got some mail for you yesterday, so I forwarded it to your parents address.  Have you been apartment shopping yet?" She asked.

I laughed.  "I just got here, but I thought I would see how I like the commute before I decide to get a place here or in town." I said.

"Interstate 75 can get nasty, I'm not sure you'll like the commute." She said.

I shrugged.  "I'm on in the morning, so it'll be the middle of the night when I have to drive it anyway.  There probably won't be much traffic on the roads at 3 am."

"Oh yeah, I forgot you will be starting that early now.  Have you decided on a car?" She asked.

I told her about car shopping and the Toyota I hope to test drive tomorrow when Eli gets off work.  It was time to hop off, so we said our goodbyes.

"Give Eli a big kiss for me." She said.

"You're gross." I crinkled my nose and she laughed.

"Yeah, I feel your pain.  My brother gets a lot of attention from women too." She said.

"Oh, so another clue.  She has a brother." I said, and she smiled.

"Good night, Cora."

"Talk soon, bye, and love ya!"

"Love you too." We disconnected, and I went to bed early.