Part Seventeen

For you @lisasysnop for always being so kind! 💖

I sat in shock through lunch and didn't say a word.  I'm scared. The last words he said to me put a real fear into me, and I don't know what to do.  I'm carrying my own child that needs protecting. 

"Are you alright?" Franks asked. 

I nodded.  "I'm fine, it's just overwhelming.  Will you start looking for her child?"

He shook his head.  "The child hasn't been reported missing.  Once we talk to the parents and get the DNA tests back to confirm her identity, we will close the case."

Okay, that just pissed me off.  They got involved because they found lots of money without a trail, but children aren't more important? I looked at my food, and I know I need to eat, but I just feel sick.  I forced myself to eat a salad and drink some water, but it didn't help much.  Gray has been calling me constantly, but I reached over and silenced it.  He's not helping my nerves at the moment. 

They took me back to the hotel, and I tried to get some rest before leaving to meet Lisa's parents.  I can't force myself to use her real name. For six years I've known her by Lisa, and my brain just won't register the name Cassidy. 

I guess before meeting Blaine, I didn't realize exactly how high society these people are, and I decided to present myself a little better this time.  I showered and fixed my hair a little fancier than normal and wore the dress I brought for dinner.  I guess for some reason, I thought these people would have wanted to have dinner, so I packed my nicest dress, but I see how it is now.  They probably wouldn't even look twice at a plain girl like me. 

I find it very difficult to believe Lisa came from such wealth.  She was always so free-spirited, stubborn as hell, but always free-spirited. 

I looked at myself in the mirror one last time.  My little black wrap around dress is a little tighter around my boobs these days, so the cleavage worries me a bit.  It's not too fancy for a quick early evening visit, so I decided to just go with it.  My hair is up, and I put on the diamond earrings Gray gave me years ago.  They are small, but they dangle and add a bit to my neckline. 

Lisa picked out the heels I am wearing, which struck a bit of sadness in me. I sighed, then changed my things over to my black purse, making sure I had everything before I put my coat on. I then headed downstairs to meet the detectives in the lobby. 

As soon as I stepped out of the elevator, Detective Franks took a double take, then smiled. 

"Wow, you look amazing."

Sinclair smirked at him, and I laughed. 

"It's just a coat."

"I mean..nevermind.  Are you ready?" He asked.

"Sure, that's why I'm here."

They led me out to their car, and soon we were driving out of the city.  It was getting dark by the time we pulled up to a gate and stopped.  They flashed their badges at the guard and slowly the gate opened, then we pulled through only to drive down a long blacktop driveway. 

A very large stone mansion came into view.  The white lights that lit up the stonework looked amazing.  This place is like something you would see in a magazine. 

"Damn, these people are loaded," Franks stated the obvious. 

As soon as we parked the car in front of the front doors, a very large man in a suit stepped outside and stood very still. 

"Damn, I wouldn't want to piss that guy off," Sinclair said. 

"No shit." Franks agreed. 

We all stepped out of the car, and Franks led me to the front doors where we met the Ox of a man. 

"Detectives Franks and Sinclair, to see Carter and Amelia Lowell," Franks said.

"Yes, they are expecting you." He opened the door and stood to the side, while the three of us stepped inside.  We are so completely out of place here it's unbelievable.  Marble floors, amazing woodwork, fresh flowers, and I actually just saw a woman in a maids uniform. 

"Mr. and Mrs. Lowell will be with you shortly.  Please follow me to the study." He said, and we walked the direction he was leading us.  Two double doors opened and we stepped inside to yet another amazing room. There is a mahogany wood desk and bar, leather furniture, and walls of books and more books.  The paintings on the walls made it look formal, and to be honest, a little creepy.

"May I take your coat, ma'am?" He asked.

"Yeah, umm, sure," I answered, then untied my coat and took it off.

"Holy shit," Franks muttered, and Sinclair elbowed him, then snickered.

"Thank you," I said as the man slipped my coat off my shoulders and tucked it under his arm. 

"Mr. and Mrs. Lowell will be with you shortly." He backed out of the room and shut the double doors. 

That's when I saw the family portrait hanging over the fireplace, and I gasped.  There Lisa sits with her mother, father, brother, and sister.  Blaine is actually an unbelievably handsome man.  I stared at it for a moment, it's sad to see such a young man with such a serious look on his face. 

Franks stepped up next to me.  "She was beautiful." He said.

I nodded.  "Yes, she was, and absolutely the most fun person I ever met in my life.  I can't believe she came from this kind of family."

"They all look serious don't they?" He asked.

"Except for Lisa, you can see the spark in her eyes.  She always had that no matter what happened." I said.

"You should be careful about how you address their daughter.  To them, she is Cassidy." He said.

"Yeah, it's just hard.  We lived together for six years, and I never knew her by any other name."

I heard the doors start to open and turned to see none other than Blaine himself, but he is alone.

He paused and looked at me without saying a word. 

"Will your parents be joining us soon?" Franks asked.

He looked away then went to the bar.  "I have yet to have spoken with either my father or mother today.  They will be along soon, can I offer any of you a brandy or scotch?"

"No, thank you." We all declined.  Well, obviously, I have no choice.